web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Lovely And Thin

This what I did today. No, I wasn't sucked into a realm of squiggly lines, that was yesterday. This photo was the result of asking my mom to take my picture with my camera. Not wanting to touch the camera with my wet hands, I tried to explain how to work it. Somehow it got on the movie setting. Not wanting to post a movie of me getting my picture taken along with the ensuing discussion, I just took a picture of the movie that I froze on my computer screen.

The sweet and charming Karen H. suggested for my next post, that I say how I stay so lovely and slim at age 50.

First of all, Karen. I am very photogenic. I really am a blue-eyed blonde, but the resemblance ends there. Ask anyone who knows me, I photograph incredibly well.

I do plead guilty to being thin. I am weight conscious and whenever presented with junk food or something that is especially fattening, I ask myself a question, "Is this worth getting fat over?" This is another version to my theme of, "I'll be damned if I'm going to get fat eating something that I don't even like." I silently chant that to myself when offered food that is not worth the calories.

I fill up on raw fruit and drink lots of water. Dinner is usually a big raw vegetable salad with very little dressing. I drink fat-free milk and soy milk. Most of my protein intake comes from milk and nuts. I love smoothies made with frozen berries, milk and Splenda. It tastes like sorbet to me. I do not believe in dieting. For me, that's the route to hell. I believe in moderation in all things. Chocolate, in moderation, is not something that I will deny myself.

Exercise is important too. Ten minutes a day of muscle strengthening exercises and ballet stretches is enough to maintain muscle tone. Turning and lifting patients also burns up calories.

So, there it is. That's the secret to being lovely and thin, photograph well and eat healthy food and get some exercise. Should I write a book? No, I guess not. I think that one or two other people have written books on this subject. ;)


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 7/17/2006 01:06:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I ask the same question "Is it worth getting fat for"? But my answers are always Yes! Yes! and Yes! Oh well, i have 7 years to get as thin as you are at 50, i'll keep eating for another 6, then starve myself the last year!

 
At 7/17/2006 08:37:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I exercise and eat fairly healthy, but just can't get the "photographing well" part down. I've taken to wearing dark glasses in photographs because I always blink. Even if it's not a flash pictures, I still can't help it. Family and friends are always calling me "Mister Blinky Eyed Man".

 
At 7/18/2006 12:25:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

And here I thought that you were just trying to disguise your identity. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home