web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Finger Colanders

At work, our ice machine has two settings, plain crushed ice and crushed ice and water mixed together. One of my new coworkers needed just plain ice, but didn't know how to flip the switch to change the setting, so she ended up with a cup of water and ice. Her solution was to put her fingers across the top, tip it over the sink and drain the water out. The patient got the finger-strained ice to munch on.

That reminded me of when I was a waitress back in college. I used a similar technique for washing the jello. The trays of jello did not have lids so everything stored above it, such as grated cheese and diced ham, would fall into the jello. I held the little cubes of jello under running water to wash the crud off. Once all of the squares had been washed, I tipped it upside down with my fingers over the top and drained off the excess water. Spritzing it with whipped cream hid the water damage.

Customers did sometimes complain that the jello always had water in the bottom of the bowl. I would just innocently reply, "It does?". I guess I should have also towel dried the jello.

I know that's gross, but people who order jello in a restaurant get what they deserve. Sorry, just kidding. Actually, I was doing them a favor by cleaning it first. And it could have been much worse, at least I didn't walk around with a banana in my pants like the cook did. And in case you were wondering, the pants bananas did not go to waste. They were peeled and served to customers.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 7/10/2006 01:13:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

LOL!! I don't know what to say!

 
At 7/10/2006 02:56:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

when I was a waitress we would make a 'mistake' order and put it in the dish tub to be taken back to the dishwasher guy... he was really sweet and nice so we didn't mind feeding him.

 
At 7/10/2006 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

So did you ever ask the cook "Is that a banana or are you just glad to see me?"

BTW, good thing I don't like jello. My mother made it all the time when I was a kid and I think I OD'ed on it.

I hope you have a wonderful week.

 
At 7/10/2006 05:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Jello is cheap.. they could have just made more... or covered it with saran wrap, eh?

 
At 7/10/2006 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Grin - makes me think twice about going out to eat ;-)

 
At 7/11/2006 05:20:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle speechless, who would think?

Madwag, I'm also familiar with mistake orders.

Gary, the cook was so disgusting that I didn't talk to him unless absolutely necessary.

Lisa, that was before it was required to keep food covered in restaurant refridgerators. The owners really didn't care if food slopped over onto other food.

Karen, I try not to think about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home