web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Fireworks And Leather Restraints

This was the view of the fireworks at work. There must have been a hundred different sites across the Valley where fireworks were shooting up from.

Most of the photos turned out like the ones below. They're interesting so I posted them, but that is not what the fireworks looked like. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

My fireworks viewing ended early because I received a patient from ER in 4 point leather restraints. He was celebrating the holiday with alcohol and tranquilizers and it didn't agree with him. The paramedics had been called and they had scooped him off the floor at home and brought him in. Once here, he became combative and attacked a security guard.

ER doped him up and sent him to us. Security unlocked his restraints and deposited him with us. I can't tell you how thrilled I was. He seemed to be completely oriented and cooperative, so I didn't feel that I could properly restrain him, but it made me nervous not to. I just cautiously watched him and tried not to irritate him. He was good for me; I hope that the next shift does okay with him.

The supervisor came up later and wanted to know why ER had placed him in leather restraints. I said that it was because he had assaulted a security guard. That seemed like a good reason to me, but she just scrunched up her face like she didn't understand. She thought that I had said that the security guard had been insulted instead of assaulted. I decided to play along and told her that we are thin-skinned here and that we routinely put patients and their families in leather restraints if they insult us. I was kidding, but wouldn't it be nice if we could really do that?


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 04:12:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hey, these are wonderful! Love the bottom two....very unique :o)

 
At 7/05/2006 11:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool pics. Kinda looks like the fireworks are oozing out of the sky.

 
At 7/05/2006 09:13:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

The last shot is pretty cool. Looks like a lot going off at once.

 
At 7/05/2006 10:22:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Yes, very cool pictures :-)

It would certainly be great, having heard so much about your patients, if you could restrain them as you wish ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home