web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Catheterizing The Neighbor Lady

With growing suspicion darkening her tone, the patient asked, "Why are you putting gloves on?" I knew what she was worried about, I had threatened her earlier that if she didn't void, she would be catheterized. That's not why I was putting the gloves on, though. I just wanted to get rid of her blood tubing.

The absolutely last thing I wanted to do was catheterize her. Not that I enjoy doing that to anyone, but her especially, I did not want to do. It was nothing personal, I liked her just fine, she didn't smell or anything like that; the problem was that she was my former neighbor. It was just too awkward and embarrassing and I'm sure that she felt the same way about me. It's much easier to handle the genitals of strangers than of acquaintances.

It was near the end of my shift, but instead of applying the thumbscrews like I normally do to get people to agree to be catheterized, I gave her an easy out. I reminded her that as a competent adult, she had the right to refuse. That left a door open for her to refuse and she jumped at the chance. Problem solved.

I did feel a little guilty about dumping a possible catheterization on the next shift, but it turned out okay. She later voided during the next shift.

So, do you find it easier to handle the genitals of strangers or acquaintances? ( No, don't answer that. I'm joking.)


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 6/29/2006 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

ummm.. yes, I can see your point. I don't think I would like to do that either. I would have done the same thing. Good choice.

 
At 6/29/2006 07:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good one :)

 
At 6/30/2006 07:05:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Good post. I love a nurse with a sense of humor. I hope you never lose yours. More importantly, I hope I never lose MINE.

 
At 6/30/2006 08:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't want to catheterize anybody. period. it is so "violating", especially for women...

 
At 6/30/2006 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, humor is my favorite coping mechanism. Making jokes and laughing beats crying.

May, that's true, although men find it more frightening than women. They can see the tube going in and it goes in such a long ways (if they're lucky).

Madwag and Lisa, thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home