web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Dog Pride


This photo is of an orange and green Murphy surrounded by orange lillies, soaking in a green pond.


Murph's back legs are becoming a little weak, but he still enjoys his walks everyday. I've been walking all three dogs at once, which I thought would be disastrous but has worked out fine. I thought that Kelsey and Tommy would take off like race horses and drag us down the sidewalk, but they are perfectly happy to walk at Murphy's slow pace. They know that he's sick and patiently walk either behind or alongside of him.

Getting out the front door is a nightmare, though. The door isn't wide enough for all three dogs to get out at the same time, so they all squeeze and push each other to try and get out first. They then run around my legs, tying me up in their leads. After that, they're fine.


Murph no longer lifts his leg to pee, except on walks when there are people around. At home, he squats, but his pride won't allow him to do that in front of others. On walks, if he sees anyone else outside, he proudly lifts his leg. He has way too much pride to let others see him squat like a girl. I think it's cute that even dogs want to maintain their dignity.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 04:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How Murphy LOVES that pond. :)

 
At 6/28/2006 07:42:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

What a beautiful photo :o)
Your dogs are so special, they're just like brothers :o)

 
At 6/28/2006 09:58:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Your pond (and garden) is beautiful.
Glad to hear that Murph is hanging in there!!!

 
At 6/29/2006 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Cool pic. Animals do know don't they. Sometimes when I'm not feeling well or upset, Jaimie will slow down and walk nicely instead of acting like he doesn't know how to walk on a lead.
Jaimie squats to pee in the back garden but lifts his leg when we are out. He is just lazy and fat and can't be bothered to lift his leg.

 
At 6/29/2006 12:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think animals are sensitive to their companions as well as their owners. When I had surgery a couple of years ago, my cats never left my side until I was healed.

 
At 6/29/2006 01:12:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, just as some people need to breathe through their nose, Murph needs to be wet. :)

Michelle, they are adopted brothers.

Karen, I don't know if I agree that my pond is beautiful, the water is gross, but thanks anyway.

Madwag, it's cute that your dog also likes to show off by lifting his leg when out in public.

Connie, dogs and cats would make wonderful nurses if only they had more manual dexterity. Their tendency to lick wounds might be a problem, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home