web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Nasty Nose Borer

My patient of note today was admitted with a nose bleed, a bad one. Before the doctors figured out a way to stop the bleeding, he lost so much blood that we had to give him two units. So, what caused his nose bleed? Aggressive nose picking.

While I was busy with another patient, he used his call light, which another nurse answered. She came and got me, telling me that he was in respiratory distress and needed a respiratory therapist. She didn't know him as well as I did. I walked into his room and told him to breathe through his mouth. Frantically he said, "I must breathe through my nose." His wife was pleading with me to call the doctor. At the very least, he wanted some gauze so that he could clean out his nose.

We discussed why that wasn't a good idea given what had happened earlier. While cleaning one nostril, he had ruptured a blood vessel. Now, he wanted to work on his remaining unbandaged nostril. Reluctantly, I suggested that he very gently blow only his good nostril. He did and a wad of snot came out. Success.

Later, he complained that he wanted someone to turn down the temperature. It had been a hot day and with our lousy air conditioners, the room was hot and stuffy. Since he was wrapped in a blanket, the first thing I did was pull it off of him. He snapped, "What are you doing, I'm freezing." I replied that he said he wanted the temperature turned down. He said, "Yes I want the temperature turned down, I'm cold." Rather than argue about what the statement means, I got a bunch of blankets and covered up the old coot. Geeez!


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 6/25/2006 01:42:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

weird. Once when I worked at the airport on the tarmack, the jet fumes caused irritation in my ears... they itched like mad and I over itched one and it bleed like mad. They gave me an ear wash and told me not to itch them. I'm okay now.

 
At 6/25/2006 04:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun night. :) I "must" breathe through my nose. Most of the time, I can't even do that.

 
At 6/25/2006 07:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah those familiar nursing stories. This is funny. I've had patients like this :). Gotta love them!

 
At 6/25/2006 07:29:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, it's maddening to have an itch and not be able to scratch it. Who knew that jet fumes could do that?

Lisa, at least you don't tear your nose apart trying to create an air passage, like that coot.

Tiesha, I'm glad that you could visit. Nursing stories all have a familiar ring to them. It's rare that a patient does something totally new and creative. It's usually variations on a theme.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home