web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Street Scenes

These are just some shots of villages that we passed through while driving around Ireland.

Below is a village that is the backdrop for some Irish TV program. It has become famous, although it meant nothing to me other being the only place where I was able to buy just one stamp. I can't figure out why one house was painted one color in front and another color in back.

When the streets were designed, no one was thinking about cars. Even a cart drawn by a horse would have a problem on some of the streets. This street wasn't too bad.
I liked the brightly painted doors that so many houses had. Sarah was joking with a cab driver and asked him if men walking home from the pub can tell which house is theirs by the color of the door. The driver said no, you can tell by the wife who is behind the door.
This was just another almost impassable street. Even though it was a one way street, people parked on both sides of the road leaving little room for cars to get through.
Many of the homes have lace curtains, which I liked. I've heard of lace curtain Irish, but have no idea what it means. Does anyone know?


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 6/19/2006 06:29:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Nice.

I cant help you with lace curtain Irish. I don't think I've ever heard the term.

 
At 6/19/2006 11:24:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

What quaint little streets and homes.It looks very clean too. Blimey it's so different though to what we have here. They look just like doll houses.

 
At 6/20/2006 02:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The two colours on the house can be put down to the fact that there are two houses and each owner has his/her preference.

 
At 6/21/2006 12:40:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Gary.

Michelle, they do look like toy houses, Lol.

Anon, it looks like one house to me, but I'll accept your explanation. :)

 
At 6/22/2006 04:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The term "lace curtain Irish" was applied to poor Irish immigrants who put up lace curtains to give the appearance of being more respectable or on a higher social level. It's a derogatory term coined by folks in the U.S. who looked down on the Irish who came here during the potato famine.

 
At 6/23/2006 05:18:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Bulldog. I'll be sure not to use that phrase. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home