web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Pulsing Quiet

Saturday morning at seven, I woke up to the sound of a chain saw in my next door neighbor's yard. That's a tad bit early for me. I work evenings and rarely get to bed before 1:30. I closed the window, turned on the fan, wrapped a pillow around my head, but the sound kept penetrating through. Soon, a wood chipper joined in. When I left for work a little after 2 pm, they were still at it. It was one of the few days when I was eager to go to work.

This morning I woke to the sound of a jackhammer and tile saw. The only way to escape the noise was to leave the house and do errands.

I started thinking about Ireland. We stayed for a week in a cottage that was surrounded by peat bogs. It was so isolated and quiet that I thought I was going to go crazy. The only sound I could hear sometimes was the blood pulsing in my ears. The only place to walk was across the peat bog.

Ever try walking across a peat bog? They're squishy and disgusting.
Above is our cottage. It is 190 years old and has been restored. The original floor was dirt, but had been covered in concrete to make it more acceptable by modern day standards. The place was cute with it's thatched roof.

This is the view from the cottage. There were three sheep that wandered around the property. This is the infamous peat bog. When you took a step, sometimes all went fine and other times a shoe got stuck and would have to be retrieved. There was no way to predict what each step would bring. The squishy, sucking sounds were also annoying.

The lake was the final destination and then it was back across the bog to the cottage.

After listening to all of the equipment lately, the bog doesn't seem so bad.


~ Home

10 Comments:

At 6/13/2006 10:45:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

One day, when I was about seven, the neighbor started working in his garage with power tools, making loud, irritating sounds. My dad went next door and explained that my mom was feeling ill that day, and could he please lay off the power tools for awhile? The neighbor continued to make alot of noise.

My dad, being an electronics engineer, went in his garage, hooked a signal generator to an amplifier and a speaker, and started blasting a loud, penetrating electronics signal. Then we all got in the car and went for a long drive.

Good thing I didn't inherit that rebellious streak. *cough*

 
At 6/13/2006 11:00:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Bagpipe music on a loop at the highest volume also makes an effectice point. Don't ask me how I know that.

 
At 6/13/2006 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Those sheep look odd, the wool looks very long.

 
At 6/14/2006 06:20:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

That would drive me insane...noise like that.
Bogs are really weird things, I just watched something about them on tv the other night.
Love the cottage :o)

 
At 6/14/2006 08:06:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I just love your pictures of Ireland. I think I could look at them once a week forever.

 
At 6/14/2006 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, no one ever sheared the wool, they were feral sheep.

Gary, thanks. I'm glad you feel that way because I still have quite a few Irish stories and photos left.

 
At 6/14/2006 04:50:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

Are feral sheep like feral cats, not very friendly?

 
At 6/14/2006 09:27:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ahhhhh, now it makes sense :o)

 
At 6/15/2006 12:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marketing opportunity - BogShoes, modified snowshoes. Also BogSkis, for those cross-country races. Is Ireland in the running (pun misplaced) for any Spring Olympics?

 
At 6/16/2006 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Irene, whether feral or domesticated, sheep aren't very friendly. If you even stare at them, they take off running.

Paul, bogshoes! What a great idea. That would solve the problem. I also like the idea of crosscountry bogskiis, but I don't think that they would slide very well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home