web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Fairymount Farm


I think that Sarah's favorite part of the trip was visiting Fairymount farm. It is a working farm on over 400 acres with pastures full of sheep and horses. Walking through the pastures was a challenge. I really wished that I had accepted the owner's offer to borrow boots. Sheep seem to do nothing but eat and...uh, well, you know.

We walked up to the top of a hill that had a gorgeous view. Sheep don't like humans, probably for good reason. They can probably smell lamb on humans' breath. They stayed away from us.


Of course it was cold and, off in the distance, raining.
There was a list of rules for visiting the farm. It was a short list, easy to remember and seemed reasonable. One of the rules was, "Do not touch the horses." So, what does Sarah do? Well, look at the picture below and see for yourself.


~ Home

11 Comments:

At 6/05/2006 10:17:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

How pretty. Sheep are funny things.... I have never gotten to touch one...but sometimes they would come over to see what we were all about then go on their way. Sarah, that cheeky girl. Rules are made to be broken. I went to a farm that said not to pet the Emu... errrrrrrmmm I found out that there was a REALLY good reason for that after one gave me a really good bite...ooooops. Then had a lama spit all over my face when I was making snorting sounds back at it....ooooooops.

 
At 6/06/2006 12:40:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Later in the trip, Sarah had a run-in with another horse. She was either feeding or petting it when it swung its head into Sarah. She was knocked over and landed in a briar patch. Her arms were covered in long bloody scratches.

 
At 6/06/2006 05:29:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Melissa, the green seems to go on forever! It's so fresh and pretty :o)

 
At 6/06/2006 07:55:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Reminds me of a hotel I know of that is on a pier out on the Ocean. They put up a sign in the rooms saying NO FISHING FROM WINDOWS. They had to take the signs down, though, because the signs made people do it EVEN MORE.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6/06/2006 08:08:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I have a briar patch... sorta... it comes over the fence... blackberries? I pick them in August and we make gallons of wine for Christmas. Last year we couldn't make wine because someone lit the field on fire and ruined the berries. I hope I get a good crop this summer. Our wine is LUSH. Opppps... guess that means that I am going to be off the wagon again. Never mind...it is all good. Things are good w/ us now...good w/ me now.

 
At 6/06/2006 02:52:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Uh, Madwag... I suggest you stay away from camels. ;)

 
At 6/06/2006 03:12:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, the green does go on forever until it hits the sea.

Gary, that's funny. It probably wouldn't have occurred to most people to fish from the window without management planting that idea.

Madwag, blackberry wine sounds so good. I guess that briar patches aren't entirely evil.

Dave, I would also add emus to the list of things for Madwag to avoid.

 
At 6/06/2006 09:55:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

I will note that Dave.... good thing that we don't have many camels here... I would be sure to get too close, it is in my nature :o/

I gave my mom a bottle of homemade wine when she came for holiday... it broke in her bag on the plane... what a mess :o(

 
At 6/06/2006 10:18:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Gorgeous pics - too bad it was so cold.

 
At 6/10/2006 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I want to move to Fairymount. They have so much land they probably wouldn't even notice:)

 
At 6/11/2006 12:21:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

They didn't notice that dead sheep, so why would they notice you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home