web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Big Five-0

A half century ago today, in a tiny English village bordering the North Sea, my father and brothers went to see a western at a nearby theater. I was born during the movie. In my dad's defense, the doctor did say that it was going to be awhile before I was born.

That's how things were done in those days. Today, I wonder how a woman would react if she was in labor and her husband decided to go see a movie.

Anyway, this is the big day and despite turning fifty, I feel only one day older than I did yesterday. Maybe it's time to act my age and stop wearing low-rider jeans and bikinis. Naw. I can't help being older, but that doesn't mean I have to act older.


~ Home

13 Comments:

At 6/03/2006 12:39:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Happy birthday!!! You are as old as you feel... don't stop wearing what you want to or acting the way you do.

It was a lot different then when babies were born. My dad was a lot like that, actually worse than that.

So... are you English?

 
At 6/03/2006 01:25:00 AM, Blogger julie said...

Happy birthday!! Hope you have a great day, carry on wearing whatever you want.

Tell us more about the English roots!

 
At 6/03/2006 09:30:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Happy birthday! Doing anything special?

 
At 6/03/2006 02:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday! age is just a number so they say...enjoy your day... (i'll remember it because you have the same birthday as one of my brothers)

 
At 6/03/2006 04:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 50th! I'm just a few months behind you. My husband, tho, doesn't turn 50 until next year. And he enjoys reminding me of that fact - often!

 
At 6/03/2006 05:56:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

A big Happy Birthday! Welcome to the 50's club. Age is just a number. Enjoy and celebrate who you are :)

 
At 6/03/2006 10:01:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, and many happy returns :o)
Hope you have a super day :o)

 
At 6/03/2006 10:50:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Whoa! Happy 50th Birthday Melissa!

Häpi Boisdei tu u,
Häpi Boisdei tu u,
Häpi Boisdei, dear Melissa,
Häpi Boisdei tu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

(me singing with fake German accent) :-)

 
At 6/04/2006 12:19:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, I don't plan to change a thing because of some arbitrary number.

Julie and Madwag, I have dual citizenship. My father was a U.S. Air Force pilot stationed in England when I was born. I came to the U.S. when I was three.

Dave, my friends Sandy and Scott took me out to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. I had a wonderful time. I've been truly blessed when it comes to friends.

Thank you, May. I know so many people who were born within a few days of my birthday.

Connie, well, that's what you get for robbing the cradle.;)

Irene, thank you for welcoming me to the club.

Michelle, thanks, I had a great day.

Karen, thanks, but I thought that you had a real German accent. :)

 
At 6/04/2006 12:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, a couple of days late. :) Sounds like you had a great day!

 
At 6/04/2006 08:52:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Lisa, I did. Fifty isn't as bad as it sounds.

 
At 6/05/2006 06:45:00 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Happy Birthday!
You're as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside and that's something to be very proud of at the 1/2 century mark..hehe... Don't stop wearing what you feel comfortable in...if you got it might as well flaunt it! :) Speaking of English roots...I'm 1/2 English...my mother (who is about 6 years older than you) is a 1st generation American...her father came here at 17 years old from a little place just outside of Liverpool.

 
At 6/06/2006 12:15:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you, Andrea. You're much more English than I am. I have just a tad of English blood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home