web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, May 26, 2006

The Gravity Bar

It not being possible to visit Dublin without doing the Guiness tour, we behaved like good little tourists and went. If you enjoy looking at posters explaining the brewing process, plastic hop plants and seeing shrines to the founders of Guiness that would be more appropriate for the founding fathers of America, then this is the place for you. Of course, the adventure begins and ends in the gift shop and it only cost 14 Euros. That's almost twenty dollars.

It wasn't a total waste, though. The tour ends in the gravity bar which has a spectacular view of Dublin. A pint of Guiness for each tourist does make up for a lot.


It wasn't until a few days later that I learned Guiness no longer makes beer at the plant. No where in the presentation do they mention this tidbit of information. The acres of old brewing buildings are empty.


The shamrock design in the beer was a nice touch. I drank Guiness almost every day while in Ireland and no place else did the shamrock thing. I kept hoping for it each time I ordered a pint, but was continually disappointed.

By the way, the Irish prefer Budweiser. We were horrified. That's swill that's made in Van Nuys and stinks up the surrounding neighborhood. We tried explaining to Bud drinking pub patrons the error of their ways, but it fell on deaf ears. Drinking Budweiser in Ireland, heresy!

At one pub, a Mandarin speaking waitress misunderstood what I was asking for when I requested a Black and Tan. I got Guiness with black currant syrup in it. It turned out to be serendipity. It was good. Weird, but good. After that, I was ordering it on purpose. I brought home a bottle of the syrup so that I can make it at home.



After the tour, we went to a dinner in a pub and of course, ordered more Guiness. It was so cold and rainy that I was wearing a heavy lined rain coat over a winter coat, plus a sweater, gloves and knit scarf. The young female patrons were wearing short skirts, low cut, strappy tops, high heeled sandals and no wraps of any kind. They would go outside to smoke in the cold rain and somehow not collapse from hypothermia. I really wanted to get a picture of me bundled up next to the nearly naked wet girls just to show the contrast, but it didn't happen. I guess the guys like the way the cold girls looked or otherwise the girls wouldn't bother with such nonsense. The things girls have to put up with to attract guys.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 5/27/2006 01:53:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

we drink cider and black... cider w/ blackcurrant squash (syrup). I think that Ribena is the best brand for the trick... I drink cider and black a lot. How did they make the shamrock pattern? That is just way cute!

 
At 5/27/2006 06:01:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

That was pretty sly of them not to tell anyone that they don't make stout there anymore. I'm sure it wasn't accidental. I think I would have enjoyed that place quite a bit, though. Especially after I had a pint of stout.

I hope you are planning more posts on your Irish tour. I am loving them. And the pictures are great too.

 
At 5/27/2006 09:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"... I was wearing a heavy lined rain coat over a winter coat, plus a sweater, gloves and knit scarf."

Several months ago you were building your inventory of clothing and things to take. What else do you wish you HAD taken? What items turned out to be excess? Had you had the choice, would there have been a better time to tour there?

 
At 5/27/2006 11:09:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, that is the brand I bought. I got lucky. It sounds better to add it to cider than beer. The shamrock is made when they swirl the glass as the last few drops of beer are poured.

Gary, nice flower icon. There will be more Ireland stories as I find time.

Paul, I should have left the T shirts home. All of the heavy clothing I needed. It was a good time to visit. It was early Spring there with cherry blossoms, tulips and daffodils. It was worth the cold weather to see a season other than summer.

 
At 5/27/2006 11:28:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'd drink it just for the shamrock!

 
At 6/21/2006 03:27:00 PM, Blogger Onyx said...

I know this is kind of a late comment, but going through you're old entries. I must say, "Whew!" I felt horrified (being of Irish descent) when I drank Guiness for the first time and thought it utterly horrible. :-)

 
At 7/10/2006 07:29:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

The Irish like Bud??? That is indeed horrific.

 
At 1/09/2009 07:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"All the GUINNESS® sold in the UK, Ireland and North America is brewed in Ireland at the historic St. James’s Gate Brewery in Dublin." I work in a country pub in Ireland, here we do the shamrock design in the pint of guinness for all non-regulars. Budweiser is our least popular lager, guinness is our most popular drink in this particular pub. Heineken is second. Blackcurrant is popular among tourists for those who are new to the taste of porter. I have also been asked for it in Bulmers, our only cider, it's not so popular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home