web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Fifth Sense

I don't know what happened. As I walked by each yard on the Murphy walk today, I could smell flowers everywhere. Normally, I can only smell things that are about two inches from my nose. This felt like a different world. Scents add a spark of reality to existence that I sometimes feel is missing.

Then I came to work and was confronted with the colostomy bag. A leak caused an overpowering, nauseating stench to practically suck the life force out of me. Suddenly, I understood why students sometimes drop out of nursing school because they can't tolerate the smells.

Spraying strawberries and cream air freshener did nothing to help. That just made the room smell like sweet candied strawberry poop. I'm kind of hoping that my sinuses get clogged up again.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 12:40:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

And you gave up a perfectly good career in law!!

 
At 5/24/2006 04:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do people with cholostomy bags always smell bad? I can never smell anything, either. Your job would be perfect for me. :)

 
At 5/24/2006 10:16:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

bags do smell!! I can't stand the smell of poop on the little kids at my work. Sometimes they don't wipe very well, or sometimes I think they get some on their hands. I always make them go back in and wash their hands...yuck. My nose has always been good... sometimes that is a good thing... like smelling flowers etc...but not poop.

 
At 5/25/2006 06:31:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, I respectfully disagree with your characterization. :)

Lisa, it's not too late for nursing school. I was about your age when I went.

Madwag, many of my patients smell like poop for the same reason.

 
At 5/25/2006 08:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

You would think with the nursing shortage, people would be offering to send you to nursing school for free or something... or at least greatly reduced.

I know some hospitals are giving big hiring bonuses...

Hmmm

 
At 5/25/2006 09:01:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I don't know what kind of schools Nebraska has, but I got my RN degree from a community college. It was about a hundred dollars a semester. I was going through my divorce then, had no money, so it was great for me.

Hospitals are throwing money at nurses trying to get them to come work for them. There are some good reasons why nurses refuse to work as nurses, but the money and benefits are good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home