web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Another Crisis


Last night was bad. Murphy was having trouble putting weight on one of his paws when I left for work. He had broken a nail a few days earlier and bacteria may have entered through the bloody nail. By the time I came home, he couldn't walk at all and was lethargic, shivering and feverish. I injected him with an antibiotic and went to sleep next to him on the floor. I knew that he couldn't get up the stairs and didn't want him to spend what might be his last night alone.

When I woke up later, he was on the other side of the room from me. He doesn't like to sleep next to me and had crawled away. I decided that if he was going to be on the other side of the room, I might as well go upstairs and go to bed. When I woke up, Murphy was asleep next to the bed, soaking wet. That means he somehow got through the doggy-door, went in the pond and got up the stairs.

Murph is doing much better now and is able to walk again, although he's still a little wobbly. I'm still injecting him with antibiotics around the clock. His appetite his good and he enjoyed his grilled salmon and roast chicken dinner. I, on the other hand, am finding it difficult to eat. Stress causes me to lose weight.

I haven't told anyone at work about Murphy's condition because I don't want to cry at work, but my coworkers are commenting on the changes in me. I'm blaming it on vacation fatigue, but I look and feel exhausted and can't think straight. People are even starting to wave their hands in front of my face because I look so dazed.

It looks like the antibiotics bought Murph some more time. How much, I have no idea. In the meantime, I'm taking it a day at a time, which is hard for me. I'm more of a months at a time type person.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 5/20/2006 11:26:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

a big hug to you and Murphy.

 
At 5/21/2006 12:20:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Stress and grief for a loved one can be something very private. I feel for you Melissa, big hugs to you and Murph.

 
At 5/21/2006 04:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are taking such good care of Murphy.

Consider talking to someone at work.. even if it's one person. Let them spread it to the others.

Hang in there. I know "it's hard" doesn't even describe it.

Hugs...

 
At 5/21/2006 06:33:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. I can't express how much it means to me to be in your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home