web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

A Dish Best Served Cold

Yesterday was my first day back at work. Walking inside the building, the smell of rubbing alcohol hit me like a ton of bricks. Oh my god, I thought, this is a hospital. How do people work in these places?

My mind was so foggy, it felt like being in a dream. It just didn't feel like I was really there. I had only been gone two and a half weeks, but I wasn't sure I could remember how to be a nurse. I couldn't consciously remember any of my passwords, but when the time came, my fingers remembered and pushed the proper buttons. It's a good thing that not only planes can function on autopilot.

While I was gone, I missed Nurse's Week. That means I missed out on a Dove bar. It's nice to know that nurses are so appreciated that once a year they are given an ice cream bar. I guess if I really want one, I can shell out a buck and buy one. Okay, that wasn't really fair, we also get a present. If they didn't run out, like in past years, I'll be able to collect it. I heard that it's some kind of bag to carry our supplies in. No one was carrying theirs, so I guess they didn't like it.

An earth shattering event did occur in my absence. Someone in management has been relieved of most of her duties. I don't know if this was her idea or if she was busted down, but she is out of my life now. Excuse me while I laugh and do cartwheels. Sorry, but she made my life a living hell when I was new. She treats me fine now, but it's hard to forget what she put me through in the past. It's true what they say, revenge is a dish that is best served cold. The new manager is a fellow earthling. Things are looking up.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 5/18/2006 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Good to hear these good news for you!

 
At 5/20/2006 03:43:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

HDT, sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry either.

Karen, the news was such a surprise too; I never saw it coming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home