web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Hard To Kill

One of our patients just won't die. It's not for lack of trying on our part, we're doing the best we can, but the patient keeps clinging to life.

What happened is the patient suffered a massive heart attack at home and went into cardiac arrest. His wife didn't know CPR, but she did the best she could. By the time the paramedics arrived, about 10 minutes later, he was dead, but they unfortunately managed to resuscitate him anyway. Going that long without oxygen left him with the IQ of a cabbage.

His wife and the rest of his family agreed that he should be allowed to die. He was taken off the ventilator, but kept breathing through the little hole in his neck. Days went by and his vital signs remained strong. Although his cerebral cortex suffered massive injury, his brain stem was fine. He could live another 10 or 20 years like that.

Something else had to be done to finish him off. At his family's request, we stopped the IV fluids, tube feedings and oxygen. In theory, I'm okay with that. But waiting for him to die of dehydration is not easy. He is still responsive. His eyes open when he's touched. On some level he is not a cabbage, but a human being. In case he is suffering from hunger or thirst, he is on a morphine drip. I hope that we have the dose right. It's stressful waiting for him to die while wondering if we're doing the right thing.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 4/25/2006 10:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Difficult decisions at the end of life kind of stink, don't they? My mil's husband died sort of like that, only he had a heart attack while hooked up to the feeding tube. The doctors would never come right out and say "he's essentially braindead"... only that he's in very bad shape and might not pull through.

Semantics, I guess.

Hope this situation passes quickly for everyone involved.

 
At 4/26/2006 12:40:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

He has been transferred to a nursing home, so we no longer have to watch him die.

 
At 4/26/2006 03:58:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I hope I go fast and w/o pain when it is my time. So far everyone who has died in my family has had a long slow death.

 
At 4/26/2006 11:44:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Everyone in my family dies slowly too. When my time comes,I want a morphine pump that I know how to program.

 
At 5/14/2006 05:42:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Margaretwrites

Being on Morphine is no fun.Patients get really dry mouths on narcotics.So,torture would be a better way to describe such a situation.Surely there has got to be a better way.

 
At 5/16/2006 01:42:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Margaret, you're right. Patients are slowly tortured. I wish that there was a better way too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home