web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

A Blood Clot And Two Lunatics



A central line was inserted in a patient earlier in the day, but it was on our shift that all Hell broke loose. Blood was pouring from the insertion site. Pulling off the dressing to try and find the problem and stop the bleeding, I found this thing lying on the patient's skin. It's a blood clot.

I had fun playing with it; it was like a piece of raw liver. (What. You don't like to play with raw liver?) The patient is fine now. It was just one of those things.

Last night near the end of my shift, one of my patients morphed into a raving lunatic. Unfortunately, she was in a room with three other patients. She watched them intently and whenever anyone fell asleep, she screamed, "Wake up. If you go to sleep they will kill you." That went on until 4:30 am, until the meds finally took effect. I had some very sleepy and cranky patients today.

Another patient nearly drove me insane with his OCD. The head of his bed was a few inches from the wall. He wanted it to touch the wall. I unlocked the brakes and moved it. Next, he needed the bed to be square with the walls. I made some adjustments, but they weren't perfect. After a half dozen more tries, he was satisfied that the bed was parallel to the window wall. While locking the brakes, I accidently knocked the bed out of alignment. We had to start over with the alignment process.

Once the bed was perfect, the TV had to be adjusted just so, then it was the IV pole's turn. By this time I had had enough. There was no way I was going to spend my shift moving objects fractions of an inch around the room. I knew the solution to my problem, morphine, and lots of it.

Looking at his medication orders, I knew that they wouldn't nearly do the trick. I called the doctor and got his morphine increased three fold. I went into his room with his dose and he refused to take it. His knee was replaced a few hours earlier, he was in pain, but he was more interested in impressing me with what a tough he-man he was than in getting pain relief. Stupid man! I tried to sweet talk him and explain why he would recover quickly if his pain was better managed, but he decided that he would rather suffer than take the damn morphine so that I he could get some rest. ( Don't people know that morphine is as much for the nurse's benefit as the patient's?)


~ Home

11 Comments:

At 4/22/2006 01:18:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

interesting pic... could have made some blood pudding with it.

I hate it when men think they need to act tough...it is usually the other person who suffers more...like you said.

you can get that dog toy from www.moodypets.com

 
At 4/22/2006 05:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad had his knee worked on and didn't like the affect Morphine had on him, so he refused it, too, after a few doses. :)

That picture is disgusting. eek!

 
At 4/22/2006 06:13:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Every time I come here I am impressed by how cleverly you deal with your patients. Good for you.

 
At 4/22/2006 09:29:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, please don't tell me that you eat blood pudding. :(

Leesa, disgusting is what I do best. I also have a picture of the blood pouring out of his arm. Feel lucky that I didn't post that.

Gary, my solution to every problem involving patients is the same, morphine, ativan or haldol.

 
At 4/22/2006 10:28:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

That is disgusting, Melissa ;-)

 
At 4/22/2006 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Karen. It's a gift. :)

 
At 4/22/2006 11:18:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Do you bring those drugs on dates? ;)

 
At 4/23/2006 05:17:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

No way do I eat blood pudding!! I think it is called black pudding? My hubby loves the stuff...and he also likes marmite... bleh!

 
At 4/23/2006 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, I don't. Maybe that's my problem. :)

 
At 4/23/2006 04:58:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I think i'd have to take the drugs to work with those patients!

 
At 4/24/2006 10:22:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Somebody needs drugs. It can't be me so it has to be them. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home