web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Different Sugar And Towel Customs

I ordered tea and this was set down on the table. It's a rather attractive set up with the pitcher of milk and bowls of white and rock candy-like brown sugar. The problem is that the bowls are too large to be for single use. I just know that the same bowls of sugar are recycled and given to everyone.

How many people have sneezed, coughed or put dirty spoons in the sugar? I don't mean to sound snippy, but restaurants here would be shut down if they did that.

Yeah, I used the sugar, but I wasn't happy about it. You don't expect me to drink unsweetened tea do you?




In the same restaurant, this was the mna room. (I learned very quickly that in Gaelic, mna is women and fir is men. ) That towel is for use by everyone. That would violate some rules here as well. I let my hands air dry.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 5/19/2006 11:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Webster's: inoculate 1c - 'to introduce immunologically active material ... into esp. in order to treat or prevent a disease'

2. Don't worry about it unless a bird flew thru there first.

3. In China, years ago, the 'kitchen towell' was used for everything, from drying dishes to dusting furniture to wiping noses to wiping the baby's bottom. (Well, yes, the mortality rate was a tad higher, too.)

 
At 5/19/2006 08:56:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Neither of those would happen over here. I probably would have don the same thing you did. At least it's not a tropical country, though. Germs and viruses really grow fast in the tropics.

 
At 5/19/2006 11:13:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Wouldn't get that here in Oz either. They'd be violating some health code. What choice did you have though? I too would have done exactly the same.

 
At 5/20/2006 03:37:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Paul, I guess I have now been inoculated. :)

Gary, true, it was much too cold for any germs to thrive.

Michelle, I had the choice to drink unsweetened tea. I guess I'm nore afraid of that than germs.

 
At 5/21/2006 04:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our infection control person would have a hay day. lol

We have a special handwashing procedure at work. They made sure everyone knew what it was in orientation class.... by watching some of the new hires actually do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home