web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Garbled English

A coworker mentioned that she bought some snail medication. I couldn't imagine why she wanted to medicate snails. It turned out that she meant to say, snail bait.

Another coworker complained that she needed to get a blood extraction. I'm hoping that she meant blood draw. A blood extraction sounds like she is going to have all of her blood removed.

A chart, dictated by a doctor, said that the patient "wears glasses for reason." As opposed to what, no reason? Even if worn for aesthetic reasons, it is still a reason.

Another patient's chart stated that the patient has a history of mariguana use. I'm not familiar with that type of iguana and I'm wondering exactly how the patient used reptiles?


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 05:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the "mariguana" writer speaks Spanish...

 
At 5/24/2006 07:38:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

That's very possible and judging from the number of typos in the charts, we must not have spell check and whoever is doing the typing has no medical background.

 
At 5/26/2006 08:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that's why "the patient's father died of a MYOCARDIAL infarction" got to be "the patient's father died of a MILD CARDIAC infarction". Lucky it was only a mild one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home