web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Doctor Roulette

During hip replacement surgery, the surgeon collapsed. He was scooped off the floor and admitted for observation. Another surgeon took over, but the patient suffered a massive blood loss. After surgery, the patient came to our floor. We were infusing blood as fast as the blood was pouring out of her. Well, that's not quite accurate. The blood was flowing out faster. Her blood pressure was dropping and she was barely arousable. Anyone could see that she was going into shock and was in serious trouble.

So, why did we have such a hard time getting her transferred to ICU? The first doctor who was called just said okay and hung up. The second doctor wasn't interested either. The third doctor came and looked at her and transferred her. Hey, doctors, I'm talking to you, if a nurse calls and says that a patient is bleeding heavily and going into shock, do something. This is the kind of thing that we get sued over.

It's been a week now and the patient is still here. It's just been one complication after another. The doctor is still off work as well. You never know what is going to happen when you check into the hospital or just show up for work.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 5/26/2006 05:17:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

You have the patience of a saint! I'd get my marching orders, i have such a big mouth, i'd never be able to refrain from saying anything.

 
At 5/26/2006 11:24:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

The one time I was in the hospital I got misdiagnosed, but it turned out ok because the treatment I got was actually what I needed for what I actually had. i guess I should consider myself lucky.

Hope you have a nice and interesting weekend.

 
At 5/26/2006 08:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I've often wondered how doctors get through hours and hours and HOURS of surgery. Not sure how long this one was, that you're writing about now, but I can't imagine working on someone for 8 hours at a time.

 
At 5/26/2006 11:36:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, I get even with my blog. That's my outlet for my frustration.

Gary, I'm glad that everything turned out alright despite the missed diagnosis. I'm working this weekend, so it will probably be interesting but not particularly safe.

Lisa, the hip replacements take about an hour and a half, but they have then lined up like an assembly line. I don't know how they work such long hours. It doesn't seem safe. Despite their bigger than life egos, they are only human.

 
At 5/28/2006 08:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should take a pint of Guiness with you to work. :) A pint looks huge, and it must be good. I will have to try it sometime.

 
At 5/29/2006 12:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you wrote down every call to the MD and every response on the nursing notes...they may not care about their butts, but nurses have to watch their own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home