web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Wild About Wildflowers

I've always loved wildflowers. These are some of the ones I saw in Ireland.


This is gorse. I'm not sure of the spelling. It flowers year round and is covered in evil thorns.
These are primroses growing in an old oak forest.
These violets have seen better days. I like to eat violets and so do other creatures apparently.
These are bluebells. I know them as Scottish bluebells, but that doesn't seem right for Ireland, so I dropped the Scottish part.
I don't know what this is, but it was growing all over rock walls everywhere.

These are dandelions. They are much bigger and prettier than the ones growing in my lawn.

This, whatever it is, grows in lawns. It is incredible seeing a lawn covered in them. I wonder if people think of them as weeds?


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 5/27/2006 11:14:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Lovely pics.

The last foto is a type of daisy, and it is considered a weed amongst those who like their lawns just green. We used to make daisy chains out of them when we were kids.

 
At 5/27/2006 11:26:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Love the yellow ones...just beautiful :o)

 
At 5/27/2006 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

we have the same flowers here in Bristol. I love the bluebells. I leave a lot of the wild flowers that grow in my garden. I have wild forget me nots, white dead nettles, the little white daisies that grow in the grass ... dandelions of course...some sort of wild strawberry and something else that gets a weird flower.

I use this site to help me sometimes. http://www.reticule.co.uk/flora/

 
At 5/28/2006 12:12:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Karen, I liked the lawns that had the most tiny white daisies. They were so much prettier than the "weed" free lawns.

Michelle, The yellow ones are pretty, but keep your distance. The thorns will practically jump out and impale you.

Madwag,Your garden sounds lovely with the wildflowers mixed in. Thanks for the site.

 
At 5/29/2006 12:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a daisy to me! Ireland this summer for me, too!

 
At 5/29/2006 12:41:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Kim, that's exciting. I highly recommend going to Ireland. It should be a little warmer when you go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home