web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

An Exercise In Logic

At work, we've been told that when discharging patients, we must refer them to our smoking cessation classes. Silly me, I just assumed that they meant for us to do this if the patient actually smokes. But no, they want every patient to be referred, including nonsmokers. Their logic in making this rule is that the patient might have a family member who smokes who might get the referral passed on to them.

So, I'm thinking, we have tons of classes for just about every health problem. There are diabetes classes, heart disease classes, obesity classes and so on. Why don't we refer every patient to those classes as well. After all, the odds are good that someone in their family has a health problem addressed by one of our classes. Why restrict it to just smoking?

And, of course, it's not enough to just give the patients the referral phone numbers, we are also expected to call and sign them up for a class. If we're signing the nonsmokers up for stop smoking classes, than we might as well enroll them in the dozen or so other classes that we offer.

The administrators aren't trying nearly hard enough to create work for us. I'll have to bring my idea to their attention at once. NOT!


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 5/28/2006 07:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

step it up a bit by giving an anorexic patient a weight loss class referral. who knows, she/he might have a family member who is obese. right? :)
i am so with you in the sentiment of the administrators thinking we are so underworked, we need more paperworks.

 
At 5/28/2006 08:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL... don't you have any AA classes you can send the tea totallers to?

 
At 5/28/2006 11:03:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

that is just silly....

 
At 5/29/2006 12:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard some doozies, but this one takes the cake.....

 
At 5/29/2006 12:44:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees a problem here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home