web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Driving Drama

The yellow reserve light for my gas tank was lit up. It had come on a couple of miles earlier, so with only another mile to go to the gas station, there would be no problem reaching it. Why didn't my car know that? Sputtering and jerking, I wasn't sure if my car was going to make it. The gas station was within site when my car started losing power. Putting the pedal to the metal did nothing, but at least the car was still moving. I only had a couple hundred feet to go.

Two red lights on my dash were lit. Without my glasses, I couldn't read what they were, but from past experience, I knew that it is always bad when a red light on the dash lights up. Two red lights had to me double trouble.

As I came to the bottom of the hill, the green arrow light was lit for me, so I went straight into my U turn to the gas station. I do mean literally, that I went straight. The steering wheel was locked. I yanked it with all of my strength and barely made the turn. My car then coasted to a stop about 15 feet from the pump. Close, but not close enough.

It was only then that it occurred to me that my engine had quit. With the radio on and coasting down a hill, I thought that the engine was still running, although poorly. The red lights on the dash were trying to say, "Hey blondie, you're engine stalled. Start her up again."

Holding my breath and with shaking hands, I turned the key and the engine started right up. I drove a feet few feet to the pump and filled 'er up. No more problems after that. There must be gunk in the bottom of my gas tank. For now on, I fill up at a quarter of a tank. I don't need this kind of drama in my life.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 6/01/2006 05:48:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yikes, scary stuff. I've had similar things happen to me before, i am such a cry baby, i usually end up in tears!

 
At 6/01/2006 10:43:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

It's frightening when a car acts up.

 
At 6/04/2006 10:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one, Blondie! :) My gas light came on the other day, too. I usually let my tank get low, but not that low.

How high is gas there? It shot up 12 cents for us last week. We're hovering around $3.

 
At 6/04/2006 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gas is about 50 cents more here, for the cheap stuff. I like your new icon of you with your dog and horse. Why didn't you ever mention that you have a horse? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home