web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

We're So Sorry That We Were Caught

A few months ago, my employer got caught in an embarrassing scandal. What happened is that one of our sister hospitals hired a taxi to drop off a homeless person in downtown Los Angeles. She was disoriented and wearing nothing but a hospital gown, socks and name band. Someone in a nearby shelter noticed her wandering down the street and brought her in. The name band identified where she came from. The media was alerted and it became an ugly scandal with tons of bad publicity.

To make sure that never happens again, some new protocols were enacted. From now on, social workers, discharge planners and supervisors will all be involved in discharging homeless patients. Hopefully, they will be able to come up with better discharge plans, but just in case they don't, we have additional instructions. Homeless people must be discharged in real clothes, not a hospital gown. I suppose that someone walking down a public street wearing a backless gown is too conspicuous. We are encouraged to donate clothes as an "opportunity for public service."

Last but not least, we must cut off the name band before the homeless patient leaves. I'm guessing that is just in case we do dump another patient on the street, it won't be traced back to us. I can't think of another reason to remove the band, can you?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 6/11/2006 08:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well.... actually..... no.

 
At 6/11/2006 09:23:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

Sometimes, your posts make me scared crapless to ever go in the hospital again. That scandal was big news all the way over here in Hooterville too.

 
At 6/11/2006 10:16:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

oh.. btw.. I'm moving. http://hiddenmahala.blogspot.com

 
At 6/11/2006 09:21:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

That is an amazing story, and definately a sign of the times.

Opportunity for public service? Melissa, that cracks me up.

 
At 6/11/2006 10:55:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

OMG...that is terrible. I don't know what to say.

 
At 6/11/2006 11:50:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I will be so freaked out next time i have to go to hospital :(

 
At 6/12/2006 02:19:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

OK. This is scary. I know the hospital of which you speak and if you are a sister hospital then that means you work for them too. This is my hospital, only in Bellflower. I have had surgery there twice. Once five years ago where I was treated wonderfully and then four years ago where the nurses paid no attention to me whatsoever. Or to anyone else on the floor. I got so sick of hearing everyone ringing their call buttons and getting no response. I couldn't get out of their fast enough. Everything else they have ever done for me has been good and I credit them with saving my life five years ago. To hear how bad your place is, though, bothers me. A new up to date hospital is being built in Downey to replace the Bellflower facility.

 
At 6/13/2006 12:35:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, no one I've asked can think of another explanation either.

Romani, I'll be looking for you at your new address. Your blog often makes my day.

Gary, I like that my employer is always looking for opportunities for us to do public service.

Madwag and Michelle, you have nothing to worry about. We only dump homeless people on the street.

Irene, sorry about that bad stay where call lights were being ignored. In the nurse's defense, they may have been short-staffed and doing the best they could or maybe they were just lazy. Sorry, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home