web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Garden Surprise

Thank goodness I was wearing latex gloves and shoes. While digging and moving plants around in the garden, I noticed a squished rat on the lawn next to my feet. It had burst open and guts were lying across the lawn. Excuse me a second...AAAUUGGGGHHH....Anyway, I don't know if it was already dead or if I accidently killed it with the shovel.

It's a good thing that I found it as I was finishing up my project, because it's going to be a long time before I dig around in the garden again. My project was to do something about the big mud hole that the dogs run through on their way from the lawn to the house. Since the dogs want a path there, there is no point in fighting it. I laid down some flagstone in the path that they follow and planted bog plants bordering it because it's too wet and gooey for anything else to grow there.

I'll wait and see how this goes. I'm getting desperate. My house is starting to look like I have a dirt floor, dirt furniture and dirt bed.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 6/07/2006 10:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME BLOG!!!!
I really like your layout, the pictures you have posted are really very beautiful! :o)

 
At 6/07/2006 10:40:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Ugh. I am sure the rat was dead before - I can't imagine the amount of force that would be needed to squish it to that degree.

 
At 6/07/2006 10:55:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

John, thanks. I appreciate that.

Karen, I hope that you're right, but either way it is incredibly gross.

 
At 6/07/2006 11:11:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You could start a new trend! Millions of women would love not to worry about dirt in the home. You could be the new Martha Stewart....a law abiding Martha of course!!

 
At 6/08/2006 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

We have rats here too. They live by the streem in the field behind my house... my cats have brought home a few presents for me in the past... almost stepped on a dead one at the bottom of my stairs one morning... ugh.

 
At 6/08/2006 12:31:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, dirt floors used to be common. Maybe we could bring back that idea.

Madwag, that is a major reason why I do not have cats. You never know where you're going to find a mangled carcass.

 
At 6/10/2006 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Summer is here and the rodents are out! Last night I was in the laundry room with the back door open and one ran right past my feet behind the washer! It scared the crap out of me and I screamed so loud the neighbors for 2 houses down came over to see what was happening. (We have a very good neighborhood watch). So now he is behind the washer and I have to get him out. The dogs are going crazy barking. I get some shoes on and a broom and the little bastard tried to run past me to get in the kitchen. Thankfully I had closed the door from the laudry room to the house and there he was trapped, just a little guy barely bigger than a mouse! Finally I got him outside but he did leave me a little present behind the washer. Apparently I screamed so loud I scared the crap out of him too!

 
At 6/11/2006 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

The way you love animals, I'm surprised that you didn't adopt him and let him sleep in bed with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home