web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Octoberfest In April

Airline security has become tough to get through, without laughing. It's illegal to joke about bombs on airplanes, which presents an enormous challenge. When I'm checking into a German airline and see the pictures of forbidden weapons with the title of "explosive stoffe", how can I not laugh and make jokes? I so wanted to tell Sarah to take the hand grenades out of her purse and hand them over to security so that they would be too distracted to notice the rocket launcher inside my coat.

I hope that it's not illegal to joke about it in a blog. In case it is, my official story is that I'm not joking. I really did have a rocket launcher in my coat. There, is that better?

I don't know why, but we had to fly to Germany in order to get to Ireland. Talk about frustrating. We flew directly over Ireland. The least they could have done was drop a little in altitude and let us jump with parachutes.

I did enjoy flying on Lufthansa. Had it been October, I would have thought for sure that it was Octoberfest. The booze was flowing like water, all of it free.

My guess is that Lufthansa has the same philosophy for taking care of passengers that nurses have towards patients. Keep them drugged and happy. Whether it's booze or morphine, the effect is the same. Sedation makes for less work, whether you are a nurse or a flight attendant.

It nearly killed me to turn down all of that free German beer, wine and mixed drinks, but alcohol and long flights aren't a good idea. Stoically, I accepted water, orange juice and sodas, plus I fed off of the candy bar platter.

I do have one complaint, though. It was the flight attendants. They were just too gorgous. Most of them were even taller than me with thin, perfect bodies. They were all young and several of them had long, blonde hair. Don't they know that I like to be the only tall, long-haired blonde in a room? It was also strange to be around so many German people. I never realized before how German I look. I guess my German genes won out over the English, Irish, Scottish, French, Dutch and Indian genes.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 6/10/2006 11:09:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I still think you look more Swedish, and apparently I look more German, since they always spoke to me in German. Thank goodness they were simple questions I was able to answer or they would all know we were just culturally devoid monolinguals:)

How's Murphy doing?

 
At 6/11/2006 12:32:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Since I'm not Swedish, I shouldn't look Swedish. I do agree, though, that you look German, with some Greek thrown in.

It's not easy going through life as a culturally devoid monolingual. :)

Murph is doing the same, which is much better than what the vet predicted.

 
At 6/11/2006 01:26:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

We flew Iceland Air... those flight attendants were so beautiful and nice! I think you look a bit Icelandic (sp?) myself.

 
At 6/11/2006 11:48:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hmmm you don't look one bit like a "Helga" to me! Just to throw a spanner in the works, i'll say you look dutch ;)

 
At 6/13/2006 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, I probably have some Viking blood in me. That's close.

Michelle, how about if we just say that I look northern European?

 
At 7/27/2006 10:39:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

OMG!!! This is weird. Every single timeI see your mates pic I think I know her... she looks like one of the kid's mum up at my school...I will assume that your Sara is just as nice if not nicer than the woman I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home