web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Beauty Queen Talk

What inspires you to go to work everyday? Asking a room full of nurses that question evokes sobbing. Pretty strange, huh? At a meeting, the nurses had to take turns answering what inspires them to go to work everyday. People replied with beauty pageant-type answers about wanting to help people and then progressed to ramblings about a higher calling and being part of God's plan and how God knows what is best for them. This is when the mass sobbing began.

I wasn't at this meeting, but heard that these were not tears of joy, but of sadness. This makes no sense to me. I would love to believe that I'm part of some master plan and have a pre-ordained purpose in life. If I believed that I would be laughing in joy.

It's a good thing that I wasn't at that meeting. With dry eyes I would have answered that what inspires me to go to work is money. What inspires you to go to work?


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 6/16/2006 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I think just making it till Friday afternoon is what always inspired me. Unfortunately I never found an inspiring job, though I hear there are actually some.

I have always been impressed with those who have gone into nursing. It's a very hard job, and often underappreciated.

 
At 6/16/2006 11:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because I don't want to stand in the unemployment line. Could be very boring standing there for days.

Plus I wouldn't want to stay home and have to see the "Family". :-)

 
At 6/16/2006 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Grin :-))

Your honesty is refreshing. You would never have made it to Ms. America that way though ;-)

 
At 6/17/2006 02:55:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

$$$$$ does it for me everytime!

 
At 6/18/2006 08:59:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, I've heard that there are enjoyable, inspiring jobs out there, but I've never seen one. There's a reason why work is called work, rather than fun.

Leighann, a few of my coworkers can't wait to come to work because they need a break from the kids.

Karen, I'll also never go very far in my job because I don't talk the party line. I'm a rebel, but a nice one.

Michelle, thank you for letting me know that I'm not the only one.

 
At 6/19/2006 02:32:00 PM, Blogger beajerry said...

Another chime for money here.

 
At 6/21/2006 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Another honest person!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home