web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, June 26, 2006

What Did She Ever Do To Them?


The patient had come from a nursing home. The gangrene in her feet had worked it's way into her bloodstream and she was in septic shock. She was intubated, put on a ventilator and aggressively treated. Once stable, she came to my floor for a few days.

This poor lady was extremely elderly and was in such an advanced stage of dementia, she could no longer recognize her family. She spent her days staring off into space, sometimes moaning. Not being able to eat, she was fed through a tube in her nose. Her arms and legs were badly contracted and she needed frequent turning. The facility where she normally vegetated hadn't turned her often enough, resulting in pressure ulcers going down to the bone across her buttocks. Her legs had poor circulation and were dark and cold from the knees down. Her feet needed to be amputated because of the gangrene.

Her family had been approached about making her a DNR (do not resuscitate). They refused and wanted us to continue doing everything in our power to keep her alive (and suffering) as long as possible.

Not wanting to end up like that, I've considered wearing a DNR sticker taped to my abdomen. I tried it and it was a bit scratchy, so I'm considering making underwear with a DNR print. It wouldn't be sexy, but it would deliver a strong message, I hope. Perhaps I should go into the business of selling DNR underwear. Any takers?

(Despite appearances, that photo is not of an adolescent boy. It is of a 50 year old woman, me.)


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 6/26/2006 01:37:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

My gran was like that just before she passed away...but our family decided it would be best to let her go. How terrible for that old woman... I just don't understand.

 
At 6/26/2006 03:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's odd what you're own family will do to you at a time when you can't make your own decisions.. just to ease their conscience?

They must have a hard time grasping the situation from an empathetic standpoint.

 
At 6/26/2006 06:35:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I would consider it, but not if they are WOMENS' underwear.I don't think I would look good in granny panties. :)

I wonder why the family doesn't want DNR. I wonder whether they may be somehow getting money while she is alive. Very suspicious. I guess it could be a moral issue for them, though. It makes me curious.

BTW, your stomach looks a lot better in that photo than your post last week implied. It looks pretty firm to me. Must be all the exercise you get on your job.

 
At 6/26/2006 10:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you might loose the underwear while they are trying to transport you...the idea od tattoing it the chest has been discussed by a few medical bloggers.

 
At 6/26/2006 01:30:00 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I saw in a magazine over the weekend and 80 year old woman that had a D.N.R. tattooed on her chest between her breasts....good for her...I can't remember if it was in People or the Enquirer though...lol

 
At 6/26/2006 04:21:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh, how terribly sad :(
I can't understand what they must be thinking. That poor old lady, what a tragic way to spend your last years :(

 
At 6/27/2006 12:45:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, my grandmother was in bad shape also and we made her a DNR because we loved her. It's harder to make someone a DNR and let them go then to do everything possible to keep them going.

Lisa, I think you're right. They were focused on their own pain, rather than on her pain.

Gary, my design would be bikini panties, not granny panties. Now will you change your mind about wearing them? ;)

By the way, I was sucking in my gut for the photo.

May, that is a good point. My patients rarely do arrive with their underwear still on. What do the ER nurses do with all of that underwear? :)

Andrea, that is a great idea except that I really hate tatoos. Maybe every day after showering I could write that across my chest.

Michelle, it is a tragedy. We have gotten way too good at keeping people alive.

 
At 6/27/2006 08:42:00 AM, Blogger Talk of the Town said...

Oh, that is such a sad thought. I wonder what is going through her mind as each day passes? Why would the family choose to keep her alive, I wonder?

Well, one thing I want to say is that the DNR underwear is a great idea! I agree that you may loose them, but the idea is great. You could even make them sexy! I think you're on to something girl!

 
At 6/27/2006 05:25:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Talk, great blog you have. What an adventure to live in Thailand.

I don't know what she thinks about, if anything, but she does feel pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home