web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Punctuation And Drunk Drivers



For the Fourth of July weekend, the freeway signs have been lit up with the following message:

Report
Drunk Drivers
Call 911

Maybe because it's late at night when I see those signs and I'm tired, plus the ever-present blonde hair color issues, but I couldn't figure out why they thought that drunk drivers would call 911. Not that I drive drunk, but if I was drunk, the last thing I would do is call the cops.

I was reading it as "Report: Drunk drivers call 911." It makes much more sense when read as "Report drunk drivers, call 911." A little bit of punctuation can entirely change the meaning of a sentence.


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 7/01/2006 11:32:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

LOL!!

 
At 7/02/2006 03:15:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

That reminds me of this joke:

A panda enters a cafe, orders and devours a sandwich, draws a pistol, fires a few shots and then heads for the door. "Why?" asks the bewildered waiter. The panda tosses him a badly punctuated wildlife manual and says: "I'm a panda. Look it up." The waiter reads the relevant entry: "Panda: Large black and white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

This is one of many forms of this joke. I have also seen the call 911 signs on the freeways. My thought was, "great, we have a drunk driver on the freeway weaving around and someone trying to call 911 on their cell phone also possibly weaving around." I wonder which is worse!

 
At 7/03/2006 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Irene, that is a funny joke. I don't remember hearing it. What a good joke for a grammer class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home