web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Like Pulling Teeth

My patient was on her way to have surgery and according to an earlier assessment, had a full set of upper and lower dentures. Dentures must be removed prior to surgery because if the anesthesiologist tries to jam a tube down the patient's throat with dentures still in the mouth, they may be dislodged and go down the throat with the tube. That would be bad.

I once forgot to remove the dentures and got into so much trouble that I've become hyper-vigilant in my determination not to do that again. This patient had severe dementia so I couldn't ask her to remove them herself. I just reached in and grabbed them. They had an incredibly snug fit. She must have had an excellent dentist to get them to fit so well. I kept tugging and she was starting to fight me and moan.

The room was dark, so I turned the light on so that I could better find the spot to break the suction to get them loose. What I saw were natural teeth with a few teeth missing in the back. She didn't have dentures, but partials and they had already been removed.

I've got to stop working in the dark. Thank God I didn't use pliers.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 7/09/2006 02:32:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

he he he.... I needed a good laugh to start my morning.

 
At 7/10/2006 01:14:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I think your gums shrink when you get older, hence the snug fit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home