web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Missing Magic Mountain

Magic Mountain wants to sell their amusement park. It's unknown if a new buyer would keep the park open or develop the land into new homes. The land has become so valuable that the greatest profit, at least short term, would come from razing the park for houses.

I would hate to see that happen. The park opened when I was 15 and every boyfriend I've ever had has taken me there. My parents used to joke that it was a deal-breaker for me if a boyfriend wouldn't ride the coasters.

At first the rides were modest, not much better than carnival rides, but the park was built on vast acres of rolling land. I liked the park just for the landscaping, before the good rides were built. With time, the world-class rides appeared. Magic Mountain's reputation is based upon having the tallest, fastest, twistiest, puke-inducing rides.

As the rides have become more challenging to ride, I've grown older and less able to withstand the assault. Boney prominences will be banged up, bruises are likely and skin tears a possibility. While on the rides, I feel no pain. That comes later. I pre-medicate with anti-inflammatories, but that has its limitations. On the older rides with the less advanced restraint systems, my neck and/or back will likely be injured. The G forces on one ride once caused me to briefly faint, but I was securely strapped in and just rode limply.

So, what's the pay-off? One hell of an adrenaline rush and an escape from my troubles. It's not everyday that you get to soar upside down, with your feet dangling in the air, down a track so steep that it feels like free-fall. A few minor injuries are a small price to pay for the rush.

Magic Mountain wants to sell because they say they wanted a family amusement park, but mostly what they get are teenagers. The teens can be unruly, I suppose, but their security guards do a good job of keeping things under control. It's been at least 10 years since anyone was stabbed to death there. The last riot that originated at the park must have been about 20 years ago. It's safer than the rest of LA, certainly no worse.

And why are they surprised that mostly teens visit the park? Killer coasters don't attract families. If they wanted families, then they should have built Disneyland-style couch potato rides.

Magic Mountain is not hurting for business. The place is always jammed to capacity. I don't believe the "wrong kind of crowd" excuse for selling the park. They got exactly the kind of crowd that their rides are aimed for. I think that they just want to make a small fortune by selling the land.

I need to hurry up and get another visit under my belt while I still can. Are you game, Scott?


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 7/06/2006 04:30:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

What a shame. It only seems fair that teens would want a fun place to hang out. Hope they keep it open, it appears to be one of the last amusement places to escape developers.

 
At 7/06/2006 05:17:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Maybe you should make two trips for good measure. :)

 
At 7/06/2006 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

I started a comment, but it got very long and I realized I had enough for a blog post. I referenced yours.

 
At 7/06/2006 07:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When our daughter was growing up, she was addicted to theme parks, so we got kinda sick of them. It would be sad, tho, to have to go to Disneyland or Knotts Berry farm instead of Magic Mtn. The next theme park we go to will probably be Epcot.

 
At 7/07/2006 12:40:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, there are others, but they're further away and tamer.

Gary, I find that once a year is all I can take.

Alan, I look forward to reading your post.

Connie, I would like to see Epcot someday also. My friends are planning a week vacation there in Dec. I'll have to settle for pictures for now.

 
At 7/07/2006 05:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same thing happened her in Houston last summer. Astroworld shut its doors, all the rides were disassembled and now it is a flat bulldozed piece of land. The official reason --land was too valuable. It was operated by Six Flags and if memory serves me, Magic Mountain was a sister park? Anyway love your blog and reading about your adventures.

Sallie

 
At 7/07/2006 10:22:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sallie, Six Flags does own Magic Mountain. I read in the LA times that selling it would greatly reduce their debt load and help them improve their other parks. Like most things, it really does come down to money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home