web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Fight


I don't know what the fight was about because it was in Hebrew, I think. All I know for sure is that the stabbing victim patient was facing three men standing next to his bed and all of them were pointing their fingers at each other, while shouting f#$% you. With all four of them shouting that phrase in machine gun fashion, it sounded almost like a four-part harmony. Since their primary language was not English and their argument was in another language, I wonder why they used English obscenities.

The security guard went in the room to break up the fight, but they ignored him and kept yelling that special endearing phrase. Back-up was called and once there was a guard for each guest, they left. More than anything, I found the fight to be amusing, but my coworkers were scared and a couple of them hid.

We are all getting very tired of these people. The nurses have to take turns taking care of that patient because we need to share the burden. The patient's mother is difficult, demanding and impossible to please. When we called a surgeon with one more unreasonable request on her behalf, the surgeon said, "Tell him to grow up and tell his mother to shut up." The message was not relayed to the patient, unfortunately. That would have been fun to watch.

These are not high quality people and I'm not saying that just because they hang out with gangs. They didn't like one of their nurses so they wrote on a board in the room, "[P.] is a whore." They spelled the name out. I abbreviated it. If they did that to me, I would take a picture of it and sue them for libel. They better be careful who they defame. Their next nurse might be a lawyer.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 7/22/2006 05:26:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

OMG, that really is disgusting what they wrote. It's a shame you can't pick and choose your patients.

 
At 7/22/2006 05:44:00 PM, Blogger HypnoKitten said...

I'd help your co-worker sue 'em anyway... lol

"With relatives like that, who needs diseases?" (I just made that up, but it sounds like a keeper!)

:)

-HK

 
At 7/22/2006 06:15:00 PM, Blogger Irene said...

That's terrible. Regarding using "that word" in English when they speak in a foreign language. I was on the Blue Line when a young man got on talking on his cell phone. He sat behind me continuing to talk. It wasn't too bad and it was all in Spanish. Then he started saying "that word" every other sentence. I finally turned around and told him to stop saying that and he proceeded to berate me when another passenger spoke up and said she was also offended. He finally shut up and then hung up his phone. I'm guessing there is no word like that in other language that they can use to get their point across.

 
At 7/22/2006 08:22:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Hebrew? I don't think I've heard of Jewish gangs. Oy Vey.

 
At 7/23/2006 12:50:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, I wish that I could choose my patients just like you must wish that you could choose your clients.

Hpnokitten, when I have really bad patients, I comfort myself with the thought that at least I'm not related to them. Once they're gone, I don't have to see them again.

Irene, it seems odd that other languages don't have swear words with enough oomph in them. Maybe they need to try harder. :)

I didn't know that Jewish gangs existed either. Maybe it's more of an Isreali thing.

 
At 7/23/2006 01:48:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Jody and I went to Tesco the other day and there was a bunch if Eastern European men in the carpark talking loudly in their language but were saying f***y** every third word or so... we couldn't stop laughing but we made sure our windows were up and doors locked on my car as we left.

 
At 7/24/2006 12:38:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, it's too bad that they can't hear how ridiculous they sound. They probably think that they sound cool or tough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home