web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Sauna Day

This has got to stop. The bank sign said that the temperature was 112 degrees. My car said that the temperature was only 110. Driving a little further, my car said that the temperature was 113. So, I don't know how hot it was exactly, I just know that it was hot.

It's also humid with thunder-heads hanging over the mountains. My air conditioner is going full blast and has not shut off for even a minute since I turned it on around 9 this morning. All I'm doing right now is sitting at the computer, drinking Guinness and sweat is dripping off my face.

The pond water is so warm that I was afraid that I would end up with fish soup, so I went to the Home Depot to buy some chlorine removing chemicals so that I could flood the pond with cold water. I'm used to some of the customers stinking. Men hard at work doing construction and needing to make a quick hardware store run are sometimes a little on the fragrant side, but today even the employees stunk. It wasn't their fault. I don't know if their air conditioner was broken or just couldn't keep up, but that place was like a sauna.

The pond is now much cooler and Murphy is back to soaking in it again. Before, the water was so warm that he would get in and immediately climb out.

I'm not looking forward to going to work tomorrow, not that I ever do. Their air conditioner can't keep up either and I'm going to be faced with hot, claustrophobic patients. Why is it that heat makes people claustrophobic? I want to go visit Michelle in the chilly tropics.


~ Home

13 Comments:

At 7/21/2006 10:44:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

That is a bit hot, isn't it. Quite extreme. I am glad the temps are staying in the 90s here as no one really has air conditioning.

 
At 7/21/2006 10:54:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Great idea! Lets house swap next year. You can come live here at the beach in 50/60dg temps, the boys can swim in the pool instead of the pond. We can go there, i can thaw out, have a holiday and look after your house all at the same time :o)

 
At 7/22/2006 05:57:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

It is hotter in LA than Houston. That is amazing.

By the way, are you sure that YOU weren't one of those fragrant employees?

 
At 7/22/2006 08:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... I want to visit Michelle, too. :)

We had 80's here yesterday and a cool breeze. It felt really good after our 210 degree temps earlier in the week. :)

 
At 7/22/2006 10:51:00 AM, Blogger shrimplate said...

I was walking the dog at 0430 today and it was already 96 degrees. The sun wasn't up yet.

The official high yesterday was 118 but my car thermometer pegged 121.

It's a dry heat, they say. Well yeah. So was the Mt Vesuvius eruption.

 
At 7/22/2006 04:08:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Hey, Michelle! While you're staying at Melissa's house, I'll come down and visit too! Maybe we can coax GemmaK and/or Lisa to pop over as well, and we can have a blogger meet-up! :)

 
At 7/22/2006 04:13:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I wonder what Harry Dean Stanton is up to these days.

 
At 7/22/2006 08:24:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

We're in a similar boat up here in Seattle. Mid 90's. We're drinking Coopers (our favorite Strine beer) and sweatin' too.

 
At 7/23/2006 12:39:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Karen, I hope the temperature drops at night so that you can sleep.

Michelle, that sounds great, but I can't take my dogs to Australia. Would you mind taking care of them? I'll take care of your cat. :)

Gary, I'm sure that I was adding to the ambience everywhere I went. I was once in Houston for a few hours and thought that I was going to die. I was wearing corduroy pants, boots and a sweater on a day that was over 100 degrees and threatening to rain. It wasn't like that where I got on the plane.

Lisa, 80's work fine for me. There should be a law about it getting hotter than that.

Shrimplate, now that is hot. Nice blog you have.

Hey, Dave, what about me? I would be in Australia and would miss meeting everyone. That's not fair. Who is Harry Dean Stanton?

I've never heard of Coopers, Alan, or Strine beer. Want to educate me?

 
At 7/23/2006 01:02:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I've heard of Alan, but not Coopers or Strine (unless that's short for Australian).

I was in Houston once, and my friend Denise took me down to Galveston to see the Moody Gardens, a huge botanical garden in a giant glass greenhouse. It was hot and muggy, both inside and out. I finally asked her if the glass was to keep the heat and humidity in... or out. :)

 
At 7/23/2006 01:44:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

get a couple of empty 2 litre soda bottles filled w/ water and freeze them... put them in your pond to cool it down. we did that one time when it got too hot for our pets in Phoenix.... it works

I hope things cool down for you soon... being too hot isnt' fun

 
At 7/23/2006 08:35:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Coopers is an Australian beer. My wife finds it in great quantities at Costco. As Dave the programmer logically figured it out, if you say "Australian" with a heavy Aussie accent it comes out as "Strine".

 
At 7/24/2006 12:41:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, it doesn't sound like they needed glass at all. A screen would have been much cheaper. :)

Madwag, I'll try that, thanks.

Alan, I don't recall ever seeing that Costco. I'll have to look for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home