web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Enough, Already

It's also humid. A few miles away, in Woodland hills, the temperature was 119.


This is me arriving at work. I did not want to get out of my air conditioned car. By the time I got inside the building, my bangs were dripping wet. I may have stunk as well, but it doesn't matter. The patients smelled worse. Much worse. I hope the air conditioner in the new hospital works better than this one.

I found this lizard in a spare bathroom at home. Either it's too hot for him outside or he has found my house to be a rich source of bugs to eat. He can stay. Anything that eats bugs is welcome.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 7/23/2006 11:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, he's really big. I wonder how he got in? We love lizards, too. Also bats - but not inside the house, thank you. We have a cat to get rid of the bugs inside the house. Ok, usually he just pokes at them until they are wounded and we fininsh the job.

 
At 7/23/2006 02:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry, i don't mean to be heartless, but i just can't be at peace with reptiles. i don't kill them or want them dead, but they just creep me out.

it could be something about my childhood huh :(

 
At 7/23/2006 05:10:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Connie neglected to mention our frogs and fish. I pity the fool mosquito that tries to reproduce in our pond. Free fish food is all that will come of that. mwahahaha!

 
At 7/23/2006 05:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a snake with feet, doesn't it? Maybe there are mice... :)

 
At 7/24/2006 12:36:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, I like to leave the doors wide open to the back yard. It's easy for all kinds of creatures to get inside my house.

Bats freak me out. They eat bugs but also carry disease. I hope that they all stay in Oregon.

May, I don't like reptiles either and am absolutely terrified of snakes. The lizard I will put up with because I know that he will do his best to stay away from me.

Dave, mosquitos don't stand a chance in my pond either. They make nice little bloody snacks.

Lisa, At first I thought that it was a snake. What a relief to see feet. I might have mice, but the lizard is a little small to take one on, I think.

 
At 7/24/2006 02:00:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I love all creatures... some of them I love better when they stay in their own home...but I could handle a lizzard. I had a few in Phoenix that would come to my porch at night and eat little flying bugs by the light.

 
At 7/24/2006 01:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a boy we had lizards crawling around on the outside of the window screens (they were metal back then, not fiberglass as now). It was fun to watch the critters sneak up on the flies and larrup-gulp--. Their tongues are just as fast as those on chameleons and toads. --- If you find a shed skin you'll know that you've fed it well.

 
At 7/24/2006 11:07:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Awww i love your lizard :o)

Wow those temps are shocking. The weather is doing very bizarre things :(

 
At 7/25/2006 12:21:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, Are there lizards in England or is it too cold for them?

Paul, I guess my lizards are well fed. Last year a house lizard left a skin shell on the mantel.

Michelle, I wish that I could send some of the heat your way. It's not fair that you're cold and I'm hot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home