web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Medical Music






Looking through some rarely used drawers at work, I found some interesting things. In the drawer with the lubricants, there is a cassette of Man of LeMancha. In another drawer with rubber hammers, is a Don Ho cassette. We don't even have a cassette player, so these must be left-overs from an earlier era.

It does seem kind of strange, though. I'm wondering if someone decided that Man of LeMancha is best for getting lubricated and Don Ho is best for getting banged (with a rubber hammer).

There was also a tuning fork in a drawer. Does anyone have any idea what that would be used for? The last time I checked, we didn't have a piano on the floor.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 8/03/2006 12:56:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I may be wrong but the tuning fork may be used to check for broken finger bones???? I heard that someplace when I was a kid.... that was about the same time Don Ho was popular I would guess.

 
At 8/03/2006 04:16:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Maybe somebody wanted to find out whether their harmonica was in tune.

I hope you're having a wonderful week.

 
At 8/03/2006 08:40:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Tuning forks are used for testing hearing, but also to diagnose diabetic polyneuropathy (PNP), according to the Web. :)

 
At 8/03/2006 01:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was having trouble with my hearing, so an audiologist used a tuning fork on my head. It was really strange.

 
At 8/03/2006 07:14:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

If the cassettes are from another era, exactly how old are the lubricants at your facility?

 
At 8/04/2006 12:26:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Patti, nowadays we use xrays to diagnose broken bones.

Gary, now I have to start looking for harmonicas.

Dave, at first I thought that maybe you went to med school.

Connie, I hope that your problem resolved itself. We do audiology tests on a regular basis because so many of the antibiotics we use damage hearing, but the technicians use some kind of automated machines. I bet if the tuning fork disappeared, no one would miss it.

Alan, the lubricants we use are all individually wrapped in single serving size packages. It's been that way since before I became a nurse over 5 years ago. The lubricants in that drawer are so old it's scary to think about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home