web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Driving Adventure

I got my first real opportunity to test the brakes on my car. I was traveling with the flow of traffic, around 75 mph, when I came over the crest of a hill and was greeted by a red river of brake lights. The big SUV in front of me didn't stand a chance of stopping in time and I wasn't too sure about myself.

I hit the brakes hard and could feel the tires gripping the road and the rapid, smooth and quiet deceleration. Worried about the car in my rear view mirror, I eased up on the brakes to give him more time to stop. It's nice to know how little distance I need to stop my car if necessary.

The SUV in front swerved into the emergency lane, fish-tailed some and with tires squealing, came to a stop alongside the car that had been in front of her. Other people weren't as lucky. There were several cars alongside the freeway that had been rear-ended. There were also an unusual number of blonde women standing by the cars. But considering that I live in the land of the tall blondes, maybe it wasn't unexpected that there would be so many.

The cause of all of the little accidents was a big accident, with more blonde girls and women walking around. Too bad I didn't get any pictures.

It may sound strange, but yesterday when the garage door opener fell in my lap, I was more shaken. I'm more afraid of creepy-crawlers than freeway crashes.


~ Home

12 Comments:

At 8/12/2006 08:36:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Glad to hear you survived OK. Which freeway were you on? I've noticed that all the freeways down there start with "The". Traffic reports are always "the 405" "the 101", etc. The folks up here don't use "the". Just a minor cultural observation.

 
At 8/12/2006 07:13:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I am very cautious on the freeways here, but I'm the same way as you.
I actuall dont mind heavy traffic at all as long as it keeps moving well.

By the way, I don't think I've ever told you this, but I think your hair looks great.

 
At 8/12/2006 08:06:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, I was on the 14 coming down the Newhall pass, right before it merges with the 5. The accident was on the overpass that collapses every time there is a major earthquake. How can you say a name or number without preceding it with a the? :)

Gary, I hate heavy traffic which is a major reason why I work evenings, that and not being a morning person. Rush hour is hell here.

Thanks for the complement you sweet talker. :)

 
At 8/12/2006 11:26:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

After living in such a small provinical city, i don't think i could ever drive in major city traffic again! Glad you were able to stop in time :o)

 
At 8/12/2006 11:48:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Glad everything turned out ok.

And there's no point in being afraid of the garage door opener ;-)

 
At 8/13/2006 03:06:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Yikes!!!! Glad you are ok.

 
At 8/13/2006 07:48:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

I remember that area quite well on the many trips between Burbank Airport and Edwards AFB.

Around here they just say "405 is slow at..." or "There's a blocking accident on 520 at...", etc.

Using "the" before the number just seemed to be a California thing. On the flip side, maybe not using "the" is a Washington thing.

 
At 8/13/2006 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, it must be pure heaven to live where you do.

Karen, lol, garage door openers are pretty scary. I may need therapy.

Madwag, driving around on narrow lanes, like I imagine you must do, must get pretty hairy too.

Alan, you've driven by my house on all of those occasions and never stopped to say hi.

 
At 8/14/2006 12:54:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

When we moved from SoCal to NorCal we had to learn to drop the the from freeway titles. If you say "I took the 101 to the 5" in the Bay Area, they know you're from LA. You need to say, "I took 101 to 5." Funny. :)

 
At 8/14/2006 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, that's just not natural.

 
At 8/14/2006 11:51:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Yeah, but you don't say, "Take the Sunset to the PCH and turn left!" :)

 
At 8/15/2006 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Of course not, silly, those aren't freeways. Only freeways get a the before the name. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home