web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Serial Stooler


When looking through your patient's chart at the beginning of the shift, it is a very bad omen to see a column of plus signs in the stool column, especially if the word loose is written next to it. If the patient is incontinent and bed-bound, needless to say, things are going to get ugly. If the patient has C diff., the odor will make a vulture heave. That was my patient and there was no aide to help me.

Not if, but when he sneezed while lying on his side during the frequent butt washings, the stool became projectile. It was no longer loose for my shift; it was watery, mucousy and flew. I felt a tiny droplet hit my neck and don't want to think about what got in my hair. Poop also got on my shoes, but that was my fault. I stepped on the dirty diaper I tossed on the floor.

For my shift, there were seven plus signs in the stool column with liquid written next to it. I wonder how the next shift is doing?


~ Home

12 Comments:

At 8/08/2006 04:35:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I'm giving you a medal for conduct above and beyond the call of doodie. :)

 
At 8/08/2006 10:12:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

*groan!*

 
At 8/08/2006 11:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are well paid!

 
At 8/08/2006 12:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope your hospital discover the joy of "flexi seal"- it is a rectal tube that is so handy for chronic diarrhea like this. it does not only save the staff a lot of work, but saves the patient's skin from total breakdown.

 
At 8/08/2006 04:01:00 PM, Blogger gemmak said...

...and another medal from me!

 
At 8/08/2006 07:47:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, thanks for the doodie medal.

Dave, does this mean that you've never had a computer crap on you at work?

Connie, it's kind of like being a mommy with all of the diaper changing, only I get paid.

May, we have those and I even wrote the doctor a nice note asking him to order one, but he ignored me. If he had to take care of that patient, I'm sure that he would have ordered a rectal tube.

Gemmak, maybe you would like to become a nurse too. It seems a shame to have all of this fun and not be able to share.

 
At 8/08/2006 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Have I ever mentioned that you make every other job that isn't nursing appear to be a cakewalk? :-)

 
At 8/09/2006 06:05:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

Now THAT is why I am not a nurse. I can't even change pooey baby nappies... other than my own kids when they were babies...and sometimes I would gag even then. No way... human poop and I don't get along. Oh...and dog poop on my shoe...that makes me gag as well.

 
At 8/09/2006 04:55:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I think this is your biggest "Ew!" story so far.

 
At 8/10/2006 12:40:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Karen, if I had your job, I would run screaming from the room, assuming that I didn't get fired first.

Madwag, I used to feel the same as you. I was stupid enough to think that RNs didn't do that stuff. I was wrong, but I got used to it. I breathe through my mouth for smelly tasks.

Alan, stick around. I can beat that ewww story. I just haven't posted many gross stories lately. I can do better.

 
At 8/10/2006 12:53:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

So the doctor wouldn't prescribe that, huh? Perhaps you should report to the doctor that the patient has a suspicious anal lesion that requires inspection. Close inspection. Accidentally spill some pepper on the patient's pillow. :>

Oh, did I say that?

 
At 8/10/2006 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, working evenings, I rarely see doctors, so I have to write them notes. Your plan of revenge is great, but I would have to get day shift to do my dirty work and they aren't as evil as I am. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home