web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Rat, Cat Or Possum

One of my coworkers was waiting for the elevator when a rat happened to walk by. It was almost as big as a cat and was dark grey, almost black. My coworker screamed and the rat took off running.

She reported the incident to the house supervisor who decided that this was a matter for security. That wouldn't have been my first choice, but I guess there is a certain logic in calling them because they do handle intruders. I wonder if the rat' s arms would fit in hand cuffs?

Security was busy trying to find the rat when the supervisor called the nurse to ask if she was sure that it was a rat. Perhaps it was a possum. Or a cat. My coworker said that she was sure it was a rat. They have big rats back in her country and she knows a rat when she sees one.

I'm not at all sure what difference it makes whether it was a rat, cat or possum. Would it be okay if the critter was a cat or a possum? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there are health department rules about having possums or cats wandering around in hospitals. Perhaps if they catch something furry, they could do a line up and let my coworker identify it, just to make sure what it is.

The supervisor called a second time to make sure that it was really a rat. In a loud voice that could be heard by the patients, my coworker exclaimed, "It was a rat!!! I know a rat when I see one and it was a rat!" Good. Now the patients know too.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 10/28/2007 11:02:00 AM, Blogger may said...

i'm guessing your coworker is a filipino. if she is, then believe her when she says she knows a rat when she sees one. back home, i have seen rats whose size alone literally scare the cats away. they are big and i mean BIG.

 
At 10/28/2007 08:19:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

If the critter was moving it probably wasn't a possum. I've seen hundreds of possums around here, but they're always dead on the road.

 
At 10/29/2007 12:05:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

May, you're right, but management has decided it was a possum. Since they never saw it, I don't know how they would know that. But, they said possums hang around in front of the hospital and one must have gotten inside. I think the same thing is true for rats.

Alan, but they must have been moving at one time in order to get on the road. :)

 
At 10/29/2007 05:40:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

poor rat must be terrified...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home