web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

In The Line Of Fire



I spent some time on the roof pruning pine trees today. It should have been done a long time ago, but I wasn't motivated until today. What got me off my butt was the view from my house. It's hard to ignore black smoke on the horizon, especially when it's blowing your way.

It's the Agua Dulce fire that is making me nervous. I was watching the fire on TV as it grew exponentially. There was only one lonely helicopter fighting the fire.

The Malibu fire is getting most of the attention and resources because Malibu is more densely built up, plus it is where the rich, famous and powerful reside. I'm sure that officials would deny that being rich, famous and powerful is a factor in deciding where to allocate scarce fire fighting forces, but I'm too much of a cynic to believe otherwise.

Agua Dulce is about 10 miles away with nothing between me and the fire but brush. I sure hope they decide to send a souper scooper our way. With 9 fires burning in Southern California, things are stretched pretty thin.

The winds have been unbelievable. It was hard to sleep last night with all of the noise, but one good thing happened. I have a couple of trees that I was thinking of hiring trimmers to prune for me. That's no longer necessary. The wind did a good job of removing the extra branches near the top. I'm going to get more sun in my yard now. And if my trees and house catch fire, then my shade problem will be entirely taken care of. There's always a bright side.


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 10/21/2007 07:52:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

A friend in Valley Village says they're evacuating Canyon Country, which I think isn't far from you. I hope the fires avoid you. Please keep us updated.

 
At 10/22/2007 04:24:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I hope they put it out quickly. You seem to have to put up w/ this quite often... that is scary.

My cats drink my tea if I leave the room...lol.. much like your dog.

 
At 10/22/2007 04:08:00 PM, Blogger may said...

i hope you are okay. and this fire, i wish i had the magic wand to just make it stop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home