web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Traffic And Watch Dogs


Driving to work, my first clue that something was wrong were the helicopters orbiting up ahead. Passing TV satellite news trucks was also a bad sign. Next, I passed a sign saying three lanes on the 5 were closed. I later learned that what they meant to say was that the 5 was closed.
Traffic was a mess and the cars that wanted to travel on the 5 were being diverted to the 14, which is where I was. I would soon be merging with the 5 and had no idea what was going to happen.
The photo is of what happened last night. It was a bad combination of rain, a curving road, a tunnel and a bunch of trucks. It isn't known if the freeway on top of the tunnel is safe to drive on, so it will be shut down for now. It doesn't directly affect me, the accident is slightly north of where I drive the 5, but with so many cars having to find alternate routes, traffic is bad.

When I got home, I discovered that the remote that opens the garage door had a dead battery. I parked my car in the driveway and tried to come in the front door. It wasn't easy because it was dark and I couldn't remember which way to hold the key and both locks were bolted. After a couple of minutes, I finally opened the door and, to my surprise, there were no dogs. It was completely quiet.
Normally, I'm greeted by four very happy, bouncing dogs at the door. I looked around and two dogs were up the stairs, looking at me in a mirror. One dog was under a table and another dog was standing on the couch. Once they saw it was me, they all came running and gave me the usual boisterous reception. It's nice to know that I have such brave watch dogs.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 10/14/2007 03:41:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Your dogs are too funny. They look at you to protect them, instead of the other way around. You need a German Shepherd in your collection, or something.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Things like that always bother me when I drive by. Of course, usually, I don't see flames like that.

It was nice to catch up with your blog. I've been miserably buried in work for a few weeks.

Have a great day!

 
At 10/14/2007 12:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That awful wreck made the news all the way up here in Central Oregon. We thought of you when we saw it. My sister lives up that way, too.

Our cat usually hears the garage door open and meets us in the utility room when we come home. It's almost as good as having a dog :)

 
At 10/14/2007 09:02:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, do your dogs protect you or do you protect your pets?

Connie, that's a friendly cat. When I had cats, they wouldn't even turn around and look at us when we came home.

 
At 10/17/2007 05:03:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

We saw news of the wreck up here in Seattle as the story went national. When the 5 closes down around here on occasion, every other road goes into gridlock.

I saw on the news today that a huge dust storm hit the Lancaster area. Were you affected?

 
At 10/18/2007 12:45:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

It's always big news whenever any part of the 5 is shut-down. It affects the entire west coast.

It wasn't even windy here. Had I not read about it, I wouldn't have known about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home