web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Fine Dining In Hana

Hana is a small town with few places to eat, so many people pack a picnic for the trip. We didn't. It just didn't occur to us.

Once there, we saw only three places to get food: an over-priced restaurant, a general store and Thai food that someone was selling from their front yard.

Lindsay wanted the Thai food, but I was scared. I don't buy tacos off the back of trucks or Thai food from people's front yards. It was decided that I would get my lunch from the general store and then we would get his Thai food.

At the general store, there was a big vat of chili brewing at the front. I decided to be brave and order it. It was slopped on top of a carton of rice and handed to me. I've never had chili on rice, but it was surprisingly good. It just needed to be spicier for my taste. Milk and a banana completed the meal.

On the way to the Thai food place, we saw the tent pictured below. A sign nailed to a tree said that they were selling plate lunches. What that means is you get a scoop of rice, a vegetable, maybe macaroni salad and a few meat dishes to choose from. That's exactly the kind of thing that Lindsay likes to eat, so we stopped there instead.

That's Lindsay waiting in line above. I don't know if the health department inspects tent restaurants or food sold from front yards, but the food was good, cheap and popular with the locals.

Pictured above is our rental car in the parking lot. It's not everyday that I get to park on a lawn. That's frowned upon where I live.

Above is the dining room. It consisted of one picnic table and two school chairs with attached desks. It was raining on and off, so we ate in the car, like everyone else.
Not that it was an option here, but people who only eat from chain restaurants are missing out. A little adventure is what makes traveling fun.



~ Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home