web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, October 05, 2007

Road To Heaven And Hell

The road to Hana is known as the road to Heaven. The way back is known as the way to Hell, I think mainly because all of the more than 600 turns are on the outside edge of the cliff. It's a long way down and some sections are only one lane wide. It made for some tight squeezing past cars with no shoulder to allow for a margin of error. Lindsay drove the Heaven road and I drove the Hell route. Both ways were driven in torrential rain. I wonder for how many years I will have nightmares over this?

It didn't occur to us to bring an umbrella or rain coats. Even though the conditions were bad, this was Hana day, so we just got wet. What else can you do? We were on a schedule. We kept the heater on in the car to try and warm up between stops.

The rain did have one advantage. The waterfalls were huge, raging torrents of water and there must have been hundreds of them. Below are just three.






We had wanted to go swimming in Seven Pools. It is a series of seven water falls with a pool at the bottom of each one. On this day, instead of seven pools, there was just one raging creek roaring past on its way to the sea. The pools were off limits. I guess the Park Service is tired of scooping out the bodies that get washed down the falls and out to sea.

The trip was worth it. Wild guavas, bananas and papayas lined the road, along with flowers that are only seen growing in greenhouses here. There are few places I've been that are prettier. And, it only took us 9 hours to drive there and back. The road is less than 40 miles long.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 10/05/2007 01:24:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Hey, Welcome home. Your drive to Hana sounds exactly like ours twenty some years ago. Torrential rains, no coats, the car heater on, etc. The real interesting times occur when a semi comes around the corner. Yikes! Those images are still very clear in my mind. My back got very sore from cranking the wheel one way and then the other and then back again... If you had mentioned Maui, I would have warned you about the road to Hana.

 
At 10/05/2007 07:35:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I've was on the road to Hana 18 years ago, but only rode as a passenger. It was sunny, hot and very different from this experience. It was still worth it this time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home