web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A896978


Okay, I went out and did it. I bought another dog. I shouldn't have done it. I now have an illegal number of dogs, but I feel so much better now. The obsession is over.
I have spent a ridiculous amount of time searching the Internet for dogs. I haven't been able to sleep at night thinking about all of the dogs out there who need homes.
Yesterday, I raced across the desert through a dust storm, dodging tumble weeds on a remote road in the high desert. All before work. All to look at a couple of cockers.
Today, it was a trip to downtown L.A. ,actually, two trips. Kelsey had a doctor's appointment downtown. The shelter was nearby, but Kelsey couldn't go in the shelter and it was too warm to leave him in the car, so he had to be taken home and then I had to come back.
It has been so hard looking at all of the sad faces. So many of them would have been happy going home with me, but I could only have one.
It was a blond cocker spaniel with freckles on his nose that I chose. Our eyes met and it was magic, like love at first sight. He is such a sweet little doll and he sort of looks like me which is important. He is a stray and his owner never found him. The owner couldn't have tried too hard if he never checked the shelter.
So, A896978, is now mine. He doesn't have a name yet, just a number. Boscoe, the name on the ad is just a temporary name that someone at the shelter gave him. Before I can bring him home, he has to have his balls cut off. I understand the pet over-population problem, but couldn't they just do a vasectomy? Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and then he's mine. Of course, that means another trip down town.
I'm thinking of naming him Teddy because he looks like a little toy animal. There are going to be some jealous pups around here tomorrow, but I bought everyone a new collar to make up for it. We'll see if that works.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 9/19/2007 08:00:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

crikey.... he is CUTE! I am so glad we don't have stupid pet rules here...only good ones. I would be in trouble because I have 4 cats... they are no trouble at all.... I would have more dogs but I don't have the space and my hubby said no (I think that is the real reason..lol)

 
At 9/19/2007 12:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Before I can bring him home, he has to have his balls cut off."

This made me laugh out loud. I still think the word "balls" is funny...what can I say? Perhaps it was the way you worded it. Either way, I feel like a weirdo laughing at a computer screen at home alone. I hope A896978 feels loved & accepted in his new home.

I think you should chose a name quickly. Imagine yelling out "Here boy, here A896978". That thought made me laugh too.

 
At 9/19/2007 07:09:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

He's so pretty. :) Love the long, long ears.

I had a blond cocker once. Everytime I see a cocker, I can't imagine it could be a male dog.. they're just so PRETTY!

What name did you decide on?

 
At 9/20/2007 01:21:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I didn't know that you had that many cats. Do they live inside?

il nurse, A896978 still doesn't have a name. I'm working on it though.

Lisa, he was shaved at the shelter after the photo was taken. He was covered in mats, but the fur will grow back. I keep wanting to give him a girl name because he looks like a girl to me.

 
At 9/21/2007 12:14:00 AM, Blogger Marc said...

God bless America! Brings a teardrop to my eye.

;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home