web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Vet Phobia

At the vet's office, all of the other dogs were calmly sitting with their owners, that is, until Kelsey and I arrived. Kelsey, now that he knows what evils go on there, wouldn't stop barking. Soon, all of the dogs were barking and one cat in a box was howling. Next, the dogs somewhere in the back were all barking and howling as well. Kelsey started a revolt.

Perhaps wanting to put an end to the insurrection, we were called to a back room ahead of everyone else. Kelsey turned into a whirling dervish as I tried to walk him. Everyone laughed. I just smiled, but it's embarrassing having the only kid who acts up.

Kelsey had to be dragged to the back for his chemo. Later, while waiting for him, I could hear someone yell, "NO, NO, NO, NO, STOP!" I don't know who was being yelled at, but I'm guessing it was Kelsey, but he doesn't know what no and stop means. I never taught him. He just heard, blah, blah, blah, blah.

In another room, I overheard a woman saying very slowly and enunciating carefully, "Mommy go potty. Come right back." She said it several times to make sure her dog understood. A few minutes later, she returned and said, "See? Mommy come right back." If her dog understood all of that, he's a lot smarter than my dogs.


~ Home

1 Comments:

At 9/10/2007 06:23:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

my dog is a complete freak of nature when we go to the vet now... but I do talk to him...but I don't tell him I am going potty...lol. He knows several words and now is learning what words are when I spell them out so he doesn't know what I am saying... like f o o d and w a l k and c a r .... car is easy... he is almost spot on w/ the other two... who knew I would have a dog that could spell better than my kids...lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home