web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Internet Pay Stubs

Something new has started. Every other Tuesday, a few minutes past midnight, I get an e-mail from Hawaii. It's from the payroll department telling me that I can view my new pay stub on the Internet. The paper pay stubs used to come from Pasadena. (Why did payroll get to go to Hawaii and I didn't?)

This is my employer's way of saving money. They don't want to go to all of the expense of actually giving us a paper copy of our pay stub, so they just post it on the Internet instead. I'm fine with it being available on the net, but I also want a paper copy. Yes, I know I could print my own copy if my printer was working, but I like getting the little blue, folded piece of paper at work. I like the process of having it handed to me. It's tradition. It feels good.

Since many of the nurses can't navigate the Internet, I'll probably have to help them see their records and print copies for them at work. They could have jumped through the same hoops I did to still get a blue paper copy, but now the deadline has passed.

It's old-fashioned, but I'm still going to get my little blue copy. I'm getting nagging e-mails asking me to cancel my request and I'm feeling a little guilty, but I don't think it's too much to ask to be handed a little piece of paper. Somehow, it just doesn't feel like I have been paid unless I'm handed something.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 8/29/2007 04:25:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

My old company started doing that before I left. We had online checks available through the company intranet.

It was a rather empty experience to go through pay day without a physical check.

 
At 8/29/2007 06:29:00 AM, Blogger may said...

i tell you, technology is trying to kill all the good old traditions that make us feel sentimental and happy :(

 
At 8/29/2007 08:15:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

I've been fighting direct deposit for a couple of years now. I want my check. I want them to hand me something.

 
At 8/29/2007 10:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have jumped on the direct deposit bandwagon. Good for me, because cash in hand means I'm going to spend it. If it is already in my account then I will be less likely to take money out. But I also want my paper pay stub. It’s like the materialization of the last 2 weeks of hard work, in addition to the cash in my account. ;-)

 
At 8/29/2007 05:36:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

We have direct deposit, which is very handy, but then we also get an "advice" which looks like a check but is non-negotiable. The boss hands them out every two weeks with a Thank You.

 
At 8/30/2007 04:22:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Direct deposit here too, although much of the paperwork, statements etc all arrive on-line now instead of snail mail.

 
At 8/30/2007 05:06:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

direct deposit here... but I still get a pay slip. but I do my banking and bill paying all online or direct debit... .easy peasy is how I like it.

 
At 8/30/2007 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, hopefully, at your new job you get a piece of paper.

May, someday we will be telling young people about the good old days when we got paper checks.

Mahala, I have direct deposit and love it. It makes my life simpler, but I also want a piece of paper. I want it all. :)

Il nurse, well said.

Alan, the thank you part is a nice touch. More businesses should do that.

Michelle, I guess if I got my bank statements on the net I wouldn't need so many shoe boxes in the closet filled with statements.

Madwag, I've been thinking about switching to on-line bill paying. I like keeping things easy too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home