web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Maybe The Heat Isn't So Bad

My air conditioner is broken and since the unit is 24 years old, it seemed like a good idea to just replace the unit. Wanting to deal with a large reputable company, I called Sears for an estimate. Are you laughing yet?

I have central air and it is the compressor that is broken. I was prepared for an estimate of maybe one or two thousand dollars. The estimate was for over ten thousand dollars, although, in their kindness, they offered me a ten percent discount if I signed the contract on the spot. High pressure sales techniques like that don't work well on me.

Needless to say, I will be getting other estimates. I think he over-estimated the square footage of my home by 500 square feet. That put me in a larger compressor category, which requires a larger concrete pad and other upgraded stuff. The building code has also changed and according to him, everything else I have related to heating and cooling would have to be modified accordingly.

I also had a hard time getting him to leave. He was there for two hours, during which time I took a shower, got dressed for work and put make-up on. Finally, I was standing there in my scrubs, telling him I had to leave for work and he was still applying the thumbscrews, trying to get me to sign the contract. I'm not wishy-washy. I told him several times that I needed to think about it for a few days, but he didn't want to take no for an answer. He had no choice, though, my answer was no.

Now, I'm afraid to let anyone else in my house to give me another estimate. I do not want to go through that again. It looks like the heat spell inside my house is going to be going on much longer than expected.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 8/19/2007 09:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That stinks! My central air went out about a month ago. It was 27 years old and the furnace was even older. I got estimates with little local companies and settled on one that had a good price and was owned by a woman (you go girl! he he) It cost about $6,300 for both, and the air conditioner was the best and newest Carrier they sell. It was probably cheaper because I live in Southern Illinois. I had to get a small personal loan and my mantra was "It will increase the value of my home," as I was signing the loan papers.

Hope you find a company that has a good reputation and great customer references.

 
At 8/19/2007 09:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. What a jerk! Those kind of tactics would break the deal for me, no matter how cheap the estimate is. Way to hold your ground!

 
At 8/19/2007 09:45:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

I can't believe you took a shower and changed while the guy was there.. that so rocks!!! Stick to your guns girl :)

 
At 8/19/2007 11:55:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Yeah, as soon as you mentioned Sears, I did chuckle a bit. We have found Sears to be a mixed bag. Sometimes the sales staff can be great, other times they are total idiots.

Also for future reference, only every fifth Sears repairman has a clue about what he is doing.

 
At 8/19/2007 05:41:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Il nurse, I had no idea that such things cost so much money. Maybe I don't really need to air condition my house. Those tactics must work on some people otherwise they wouldn't do them, but they need to figure out first who responds well to hard sales techniques.

Mahala, he seemed harmless and I was so desperate to get ready for work. He said he needed at least 15 minutes to do the calculations, so I took that opportunity to shower.

Alan, my last Sears repairman knew what she was doing, so I guess I'm going to be unlucky for the next four service calls.

 
At 8/19/2007 07:10:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Sears kind of stinks. Check the yellow pages for a Ruud dealer. Then check the BBB to ensure they have had no bad reports.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home