web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The VIP

The VIP is now in our unit and wouldn't you know it, she was assigned to me. I was charge nurse and could have refused her, but it would have been ugly, so I stoically accepted her. It's not that she is a bad patient, it's just that no one likes to be scrutinized so carefully. I'm also not comfortable doing highly personal things to people I know. For example, if I have to catheterize someone, I would prefer that they be a complete stranger, not my boss.

She was on special sheets with a thick, poofy comforter that were purchased for her. They were bought not by us, but by our sister unit down the hall. We call them sip sips. An American word for it is brown-nosers. I try hard to treat everyone the same whether they are rich and powerful or live under a bridge. It just seems wrong for nurses to buy sheets for a wealthy patient. It also bothers me that people don't know or care when other people are kissing up to them.

Anyway, before I left, I asked the night charge nurse to be sure and assign the VIP to the day shift charge nurse. She's the one who assigned her to me. It's payback time.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 8/14/2007 06:57:00 AM, Blogger may said...

sipsips indeed. (just goes to show how many filipinos are in your unit, because they have influenced you to use an americanized filipino word:))
anyway, i can't even believe people really do that. i mean, from their own money, they bought the sheets?

 
At 8/14/2007 10:03:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Did I forget to mention that they also bought her a basket full of matching towels?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home