web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

A Pukey Night

There was vomit in the sink, so I called housekeeping. I figured cleaning it was their job. I was wrong. Removing the chunks from the sink, according to them, is a nursing job. They would clean only the liquid stuff in the sink.

I wasn't happy about it, but I put on some gloves and scooped out the solids, being careful to leave the liquid behind. I wanted to make sure that they had something to clean too.

It's amazing how complicated things can be. Something as simple as vomit in a sink requires two separate departments in a hospital to clean it. I don't mind cleaning vomit off a patient, that's part of caring for patients, but why are they making registered nurses clean the sinks?




The patient's urinal container was filled with brown liquid. My first thought was that he was bleeding from his penis. Approaching with caution, I saw chunks in it. That definitely didn't come from his penis. That left either his mouth or anus as the orifices of origin. A sniff proved it to be vomit.

Getting vomit in that narrow necked bottle must have been a challenge. He must have put his mouth around it like a bottle of beer. I appreciate the effort he made. It saved us the trouble of cleaning him up, but there is just one thing that bothers me. His penis had been inside that same bottle neck earlier. Isn't that just wrong?


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 7/28/2007 05:41:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

OK, I'm skipping breakfast this morning.

Is housekeeping a union shop?

 
At 7/29/2007 10:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... ;-)

 
At 7/30/2007 06:57:00 AM, Blogger may said...

LOL on the second story:)

 
At 7/30/2007 08:25:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

It's fun when patients use different containers for various uses.
I once walked in on a confused lady squatting over the little square bedside trash can trying to squeeze out a grumpie.
Whatever works, I guess...

 
At 7/30/2007 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, everybody is in a union at the hospital.

Karen, was that a good or a bad aaaahhh? :)

May, desperation breeds creativity.

Beajerry, we've had homeless people go in the corner on the floor, even though a bathroom was a few feet away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home