web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Pushing Some Buttons, But Not All

I've never been so relieved to have the Sabbath over with. For a day of rest, it is sure a burden.

Because it was the Sabbath, the patient could not push the buttons on her bed to raise and lower her head. Her husband couldn't either. So, she pushed the call light button instead. She would then direct us to raise or lower her bed. Of course, she just couldn't get comfortable, so she was pushing the call light button every couple of minutes to have another half-inch adjustment.

Now, why is it okay to push a button that summons the nurse, but not okay to push a button that controls the bed?

Oh, and one more thing, why is it okay for the devout to turn on the TV and change the channels on the Sabbath, but not okay to push the bed control buttons? Am I missing something here?

Thank God the day of rest is over, so that I can get a little rest.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 7/23/2007 02:07:00 PM, Blogger may said...

devout sabbath keeper watching TV on a sabbath? quite a picture...

 
At 7/23/2007 04:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-----------------snip-------------------

To whom it may concern,

Melissa has has been extremely helpful in her community and has gone to great lengths in order to see that people are happy. I'm a little concerned about her level of stress however. I am sure that she has been a great asset to you. However, her mental and emotional wellbeing is of concern. I am sure that you understand that we all function much better when those needs are met. I'm sure that all parties would be much better off, were you able to afford her a brief vacation. Best wishes to you and yours

Sincerely,
Dr.Psy
dr_psy(@)comcast.net
------------------snip------------------

There ya go Melissa. Pleae print that out and see that your boss gets that, and try to take it easy, ok?

 
At 7/25/2007 11:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only reason I can think of is that the device that moves the bed is a "beast of burdon" and is taboo on the sabbath. Did you ask your boyfriend? Speaking of burdon, it sounds like its time to hire a handyman to finish the floors to relieve some of your burdon :)

 
At 7/25/2007 01:48:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

May, yeah, I was tempted to take the TV remote away from her.

Dr Psy, thanks for the thought. Management is just as stressed out by these people as I am.

Connie, he just rolled his eyes. I don't think he has been in Temple in years and he flunked Hebrew school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home