web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Flooring Fool

I did something stupid. I tried using bleach to remove dog urine stains from the carpet. The stains are still there, plus, the carpet now has orangish splotches all over it. I tried to fix that problem by spritzing bleach all over the entire carpet to make it even. Guess what, that made it even worse.

I considered all of the options and decided to remove all of the floor coverings downstairs and start over. About half of the floor is currently wall to wall carpeting and the other half is laminate Pergo crap. It's all going to be hard wood flooring, although I might keep the laminate in the kitchen. We'll see.

Shopping for the wood was not fun. The stuff I like best is expensive, plus it would have to be professionally installed. For one quarter of the price, I was able to get something acceptable that I can put in myself. I don't love it the way I do the good stuff, but we should be comfortable together.

The last time I put down a floor, I swore that I would never do that again, but I'm cheap and don't want to pay someone two thousand dollars to do what I can do in a couple of days. I'm not looking forward to those couple of days, though.

I am off to a good start. The piano needed to be moved. Normally, I pay piano movers to do that for me, but I had an idea. There is a sheet of Plexiglas leaning against the side of my house. I don't know why or where it came from; it's just one of those things. I slid it under the piano and was able to move the piano out of the way. That saved me a couple of hundred bucks.

I ended up buying the flooring at the Home Depot. Once the cart was loaded with several hundred pounds of wood, I couldn't push the cart. My shoes just slid across the floor like I was on ice and I couldn't get any traction to push. I hate to ask for help, but there was no choice.

I found a big employee to help me. As I started to help him him move the cart, he said, "Sweetheart, get out of the way. I'll push it for you." I don't like being addressed in a patronizing manner like that, but I said nothing and just let him push it by himself.

After a minute of watching him grunt, pant and sweat, I took an end of the cart and started helping again. This time he said nothing. Even with both of us pushing, it was a long hard trip to the check-out.

He offered to load my car for me, but this time he didn't argue when I said I would help. Working together, the loading went quickly. Afterwards, I thanked him profusely and he smiled and waved as I drove off. Why is it so hard for a man to let a woman help?


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 7/10/2007 10:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because the poor chaps are fed from birth age on that they are the "stronger" gender and always need to help the fair maidens ;-)

Good for you on getting that flooring installed by yourself- way to go :-)

 
At 7/11/2007 09:16:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

Thank god potty training has ended for our dog. We just shampooed all the carpets and all is good.
I'd love wood floors, though.

 
At 7/12/2007 12:20:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Karen, most of the work is still ahead of me. I'm still looking at a pile of wood.

Beajerry, can you come over and train MacKenzie? I'm not having much luck.

 
At 7/12/2007 09:39:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

I'd love to put down wood floors here, but I wouldn't have a clue where to even begin.

 
At 7/13/2007 08:36:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

It's not that hard if you get the kind of flooring that clicks together. No glue or nails are required.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home