web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, June 29, 2007

A Cold Shower

I had to take a cold shower today. I also had to take one yesterday. We'll see about tomorrow.

What happened is that I decided to wash out the garage. The rat droppings were getting to be a bit much, so I hosed off everything. The area around the water heater was especially bad, so it got special treatment.

It wasn't until the next day when I needed to take a shower before going to work that I noticed there was no hot water. I don't do cold showers, but there was no choice. I took an extremely fast shower while trying not to scream. My hair got rinsed, but shampooing it would have involved more time under the cold water than I could stand.

Psychologically, I couldn't deal with trying to light the pilot light. I was afraid of blowing up the house and most of all, myself. I decided to not worry about it until the next day.

Today was the next day and having had time to prepare myself, I tried to light the pilot. The directions said to hold a button while at the same time inserting a match inside the heater. I was not going to stick my fingers inside that thing, so I got a barbecue lighter with a nice long barrel.

That led to a problem because the lighter takes two hands to keep the flame going and I needed a third hand to keep on the water heater button. Luckily, I have two feet. I had to stand on one foot with my toe on the button and bend down and stick the lighter in the hole.

It would not ignite.

Defeated, I washed my hair in the yard with the hose. The water in the hose was hot from lying in the sun, so I almost finished washing my hair before the water turned cold again. I had three more hot hoses and could have gotten a decent warm hosing off with them, but not wanting to strip outside, I went inside to take a quick cold shower.

The repairman comes tomorrow. I sure hope he can fix it. If he can't, I might become so desperate that I may start bathing outside with the warm hose water. I wonder what the neighbors would think?


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 6/29/2007 05:59:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Any male neighbors would probably think, "Yay!"

 
At 6/29/2007 10:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last time our water heater broke, I just went to work early and showered there. We also have a "solar" shower which is heated by the sun and provides enough water for a "military" shower. Either way, it was kind of a pain. Hope it gets fixed soon.

 
At 6/30/2007 01:03:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, either that or they would think, Oy! :)

Connie, opticians have showers at work?

Is a military shower a fast shower or a cold one?

 
At 6/30/2007 07:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the time, I was working as an accountant in an office building that happened to have a shower. (I switched careers, too.)

The emphasis of a military shower is water conservation, not speed. More commonly hot water.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home